Tuesday, November 28, 2006

CHRISTMAS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!

I put up my Christmas tree over the weekend, the second one we've put up. We helped our daughter put up her tree on Friday.

I have two trees and alternate them each year. Last year, it was the white one with lots of lights and aqua ornaments with silver touches. This year, it's the tall, tall green one with lots of lights and turquoise beaded balls and turquoise peacock ornaments with real peacock feathers. On top, I created a custom topper with peacock feathers and a spangledly spray-type thing. I love peacock feathers. Found mine in a gift shop and Steinmart, and it doesn't hurt the birds at all. They shed them.

But my tree looked dark. Dark green branches. Dark turquoise balls. Dark turquoise peacock ornaments. Even with hundreds of white lights. So yesterday, I bought purple turquoise beaded balls and some purple spangledly spray-type things, and now it looks perfect. The purple ornaments are bright and eye-catching. Plus, I'm putting a spotlight on the tree.

My decorating colors are…tah dah…turquoise and purple. I promise it's not garish. There's a whole lot of cream going on with these colors as spotters.

Funny, when I was in first grade, my favorite crayons in all the world were turquoise and magenta—borrowed from my best friend Marie's huge box of Crayola crayons. My box only had the basic colors, but hers had a plethora of them, and she was always generous to let me use them. Now I've returned to my favorite colors. Well, nearly. My purple is a true purple vs. the magenta. But they're both in the same color family.

I also made a long arrangement for my dining room table that matches the tree.

Outside, we have a snowman theme going, and have a little more decorating to do.

Christmas is just around the corner.

The parties are about to begin. For a minister (we pastor a church), it's a busy time.

There's the stage blitz this Saturday all day at church with pizza being served at lunchtime. Then there's an adult Sunday school class party Saturday night--barbeque--yum, yum. Sunday is the children's Christmas party, and we attend that one too. Monday night is the ministers' and wives' banquet, and I'm giving away copies of my new book, Kiss the Bride, to all the ministers' wives (over 100).

When my first Christian fiction was published in 2000, the Lord spoke to me to give ministers' wives free copies, and I've done that faithfully.

More parties. The annual church Christmas banquet. The board and staff party in our home (26 people). Other Sunday school parties. Church members' open houses. And our daughters and their kids are coming for a week, and I'm already making a list of children's Christmas activities in our city, like light shows and live nativities and mazes and…

Let the celebrating begin!

Celebrating the birth of our Lord.

Thank You, God, for sending Your son Jesus.

3 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Marion Kelley Bullock said...

Thanks for the reminder. Christmas IS almost here. We've got a lot of things going on, too. In our church, in our family, traveling, etc. And everything we do must be Christ-centered, because He's the reason...

Marion
www.marionkelleybullock.blogspot.com

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Marion, for commenting. Yes, you're so right. We need to make sure it's all Christ-centered. Sometimes it's easy to forget that with the hustle and bustle, but we need to be reminded.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Wow, Jennifer, what a compliment! Thanks so much, Sweetie. Now that you have wireless outside the room where Claudia sleeps, maybe now you can blog more! I enjoyed reading your latest entry. Can't wait to read your next one, with that interesting title about an atheist husband and how he celebrates Christmas.

Love you!

Anyone reading this, Jennifer's blog is:
http://its-all-about-him.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home