Friday, January 16, 2009

WANDA'S TRIBUTE TO KRISTY

ANOTHER POST BY MILTON:


For new readers to this site, I am writing since Kristy's battle with a GBM brain tumor and her passing on July 21. Kristy made me a romantic so I write to share christian love stories.


I asked Wanda if she would like to write her thoughts as I finish these last few days of entres on this blog. Wanda has so graciously written a tribute to Kristy. This is amazingly incredible.

***

It is with honor that I write a tribute to Kristy.    


I first met Kristy when Jim and I started attending Bartow First Assembly  in 1980.  It seemed like from the very beginning Kristy and I connected and became good friends.  Our children where the same ages, Kristy and I were the same age, we had been married the same about of time and just had a lot of things in common .  


I believe, because we were their first converts in the church in Bartow and her love for people, she had a great burden to help disciple and mentor me as she knew I was going to need guidance and direction in my new walk with the Lord.   With her kind, gentle spirit that is what she did.


My family enjoyed many times of fellowship with Kristy, Milton and the girls, going to different homes, to McDonalds and Burger King almost every Sunday night after church.  We had only been in the church for about six months and Kristy and Milton wanted to go on a trip to the mountains with the youth but could not take Julie and Jennifer.  Having no parents here to help them out, Jim and I offered to keep the girls for the week.    Kristy entrusted me with the girls even though we had only known each other for a few months.  Through this, we became family to each other.   When they returned from the trip, her gift of appreciation to me was a devotional book by CorrieTen Boom.  Again, there was her gentle, kind, spirit mentoring and helping me to grow in the Lord.


Kristy and I remained friends during their eight years as Pastor in Bartow.  She encouraged me to become involved in the church by teaching and being a leader in the ladies ministries .  She was my teacher, as I taught others.  


As church secretary she treated me very well always making sure I had what I needed to get the job done.  As of today, I have a plant in my back yard that she sent to me on Secretary’s Day to show her and Milton’s appreciation to me.  She was always thinking of others.


After they left Bartow we continued to stay in touch, seeing them at District Councils and other events.  Every time she spoke in the area I always made it a point to try to attend.  After she began writing, she always sent to me autographed copies of her books, which I still have and cherish.


Little did I know that years later, when she knew that the Lord was calling her home, that she would feel that I was the one that the Lord would call to be the help that Milton had asked for the night that she went to be with Jesus.  I know that the Lord is the one that has put Milton and me together, but I do feel that because of the way Kristy mentored me, she helped prepare me for what the Lord now has for me.   


She left a great legacy of love.

11 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the good times we all had at McDonald's and Burger King! It was like a continuation of church. When we got married, Kristy went next door to the parsonage and opened up cans of vegetables so they would have cans to tie behind our car!
Wanda, what a beautiful tribute, I know Kristy is smiling and proud of the work in you that she helped start and nurture all these years.
Love to all of you,
Cindy Norris

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wanda, That was beautiful! Thank you for writting and sharing. You have become a bright spot in all of our lives. It's neat to see how my dad lights up when he talks about you. You have been such a comfort to us all.

I fondly remember those days in Bartow when we would get together after church. That was so much fun! I do hope Mark can forgive me for those scars I helped him get! lol!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Dear Wanda,
It is a pleasure to read your wonderful tribute to Kristy and hear how you all came to love and appreciate each other.

I am one of Kristy's writing friends. We coauthored two books together and had plans for more books. She mentored me in my writing, and I am so thankful for her. She also mentored me by her example of how to be a gracious and caring pastor's wife. My husband and I have been married in ministry together for thirty years...just a few steps behind Kristy and Milton. : )

Thanks for sharing with us today. You have a wonderful love story that is touching us all.

Blessings from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda,
Thank you for sharing. I was just thinking that it was Kristy who was the professed writer, but how the Lord has gifted you and Milton with writing as well, to continue the Christian Romances that Kristi loved and penned...

If Life is a puzzle, and each family is a portrait, Wanda, your piece fits in beautifully with the Dykes family.
Love & prayers,
MaryAnn from Pittsburgh

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

Kristy was precious, funny, kind and generous.

Once, I emailed her, on the writers loop, asking something about writing, and a few days later, I found in the mailbox a padded envelope from Kristy with three of her books. She was teaching by example--in more ways than one.

They say it's a sign of a good marriage and a good spouse when the surviving spouse wants to move on in life with a new partner.

Go for it, Milton and Wanda, and God bless you.

Should the Lord lead you to marry each other, just don't compare your new mates to your former ones. There's only one of each of us.

I'm sure you have the wisdom to know that, but it's easy to forget.

I have had this blog listed on my blog for several years, (click on my name to see it) and I'll put the new one, there, too, when you open it.

I'm thrilled for you both. God bless you real good!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger A Romantic Porch said...

Wanda, How precious. It is so neat to see God working in all of your lives all of those years ago. Who knew? HE did! Blessings to you and Milton.
~Rachel~

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda,
We love you , thank you for all your prayers and love, and mentoring me .
jeanette

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda, you are my sister in Christ, even though we will never meet in this world. How wonderful that the Lord is busy blessing a member of the family.

God is so good to us.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Life takes some very interesting turns. I'm glad you found each other.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger kate said...

pastor...

a baby in Arkasas needs your prayers, Harper Stamps tonight. please ignite as many prayers as you can.

http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I just started reading these blogs due to the fact that I am writing my thesis for my b.a on Gods love, and I was searching for a Love story. That is so beatiful. I am really impacted by the fact that God put things together, even when things don't seem to go right. And I am in awww, the Love that she poured out on others, and how selfless she was....
Thank you for sharing this true story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home