Thursday, August 11, 2005

More about Christian love stories

I love love stories, especially Christian ones. Love makes the world go 'round, as the old saying goes. How many people are married, or want to be? They all experienced a love story. There was something that brought them together and led them to the altar. Romance is the name of this genre in IRCS (formerly CBA; the Christian publishing world), but I prefer to call the ones I write love stories. Nicholas Sparks refers to his stories this way too.

As I said, the genre I'm talking about, in IRCS standards, is romance. There's a big range out there, from the more formulaic to a broader story. I like to read Heartsong Presents novels (Barbour Publishing); I also write for them. Steeple Hill (Harlequin) produces formulaic romances too. The hero and heroine meet close to the first part of the book, and they need to appear often in the story. In other words, there shouldn't be too many other characters the story focuses on. But I love the broader stories, too, and there are plenty of them.

The 2005 Christy Award in romance went to Kristen Heitzmann this year for Secrets; finalists were Catherine Palmer's Wild Heather and Gayle Roper's Winter Winds.

An important aspect of a romance is the happy ending. And this is the end of this post. I've got to head to the post office.

2 Comments:

At 3:28 AM, Blogger Fams said...

I love Catherine Palmer's Prarie Rose series. I haven't read Heather. I think I love love stories because I love to see the formation of a family or at least the potential of one. It gives me hope.

I hope you don't mind me commenting. You have an excellent site with the potential to reach a large fan base.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Kristy, I'm not one for a straight romance (that sounds like I might read "alternative lifestyle" romance...uh...no.) But I do like romance in most every book I read. Love really does make life worth living. How do you have time to blog btw with all your contracts?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home