Wednesday, September 12, 2007

TEACHING IN TAMPA

I'm in Tampa right now teaching fourth grade students about "The Writing Process," something they study in fourth grade so they can pass the state achievement test in February. I also spoke to fourth graders in The Villages, Florida, this week on the same subject.

"The Writing Process" involves:
Prewriting/Planning
Drafting
Rewriting
Editing
Publishing

I took these five points and told the students how they relate to my writing. Then I told them my writing/publishing journey. Then, in each session, I had a Q&A. It was amazing, the questions they asked. Intelligent kids!

I challenged them to read and write more. I also challenged them to achieve their dreams, whatever they are.

Regarding writing, I told them, "Good writing is rewriting." It's important for authors (and students) to not be protective of their work but to take help and advice from those more knowledgeable. I told the students we can't be thin skinned, but have to be teachable and willing to receive input so our writing will be better. James Michner said, "I'm not a good writer but I'm an excellent rewriter."

I'll post some pics soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home