Thursday, August 25, 2005

CHRISTIAN LOVE STORIES GO ON FOREVER...

I love the verse in Song of Solomon that says, "I found him whom my soul loveth. I held him and would not let him go" (3:4, KJV). To me, that speaks of two things: finding the right person and staying married to him "till death do us part." I've written a Christian love story (novel) with this verse as its theme. It was inspired by Ruth Bell (Mrs. Billy) Graham's prayer-poem, "Let Him Be Like Thee," which she wrote as a teenager before she met Billy Graham. Interestingly, my novel echoes my own love story.

I memorized Mrs. Graham's poem when I was a teenger and prayed it frequently. Here it is:

Let Him Be Like Thee

"Dear God," I prayed, all unafraid
As girls are apt to be,
I do not want a handsome man,
But let him be like Thee.

I do not need one big and strong
Nor one so very tall
Nor need he be some genius
Or wealthy, Lord at all,

But let his head be high, dear God,
And let his eye be clear,
His shoulders straight, whate'ever his state,
Whate'ever his earthly sphere.

And let his face have character
A ruggedness of soul
And let his whole life show, dear God,
A singleness of goal.

And when he comes, as he will come
With quiet eyes aglow
I'll understand that he's the man
I prayed for long ago."

One day, God sent a man into my life, and at our wedding, I read this poem (prerecorded because I was so nervous and shy), and I also read my response poem to this one, which talks about the man God sent to me. That was a few years ago :), and our love story continues...

Love is an act of the will, a choice we make. Over time, we see our differences in marriage, and we might be tempted to think the grass is greener over there, and that's when we have to decide to love and to keep loving. My parents were married 67 years, and my dh's parents are about to celebrate 61 years together. Wow. Now that's commitment.

I'm thankful for the role models my dh and I have had. If you don't have a role model to follow in your marriage, borrow ours. The Apostle Paul said, "Follow me as I follow Christ." Follow after the ones who have long-lasting love stories.

You'll be glad you did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home