Tuesday, April 25, 2006

MRS. BILLY GRAHAM'S LOVE POEM

I started loving Reverend Billy Graham and his wife Ruth when I was a teenager. The Reverend Graham had a column in the newspaper, and I read it religiously. I admired his wisdom and knowledge. When I came across a love poem written by his wife, it spoke to my heart and I memorized it. It's called "Let Him Be Like Thee." It's a prayer poem by a young girl (Ruth) asking God to send her His choice of a mate (which God eventually did, Billy), not her choice. It resonated with me, for I was asking God for the same thing. I memorized it, and it became a guidepost for me as I treaded through the trepidatious waters of dating.

When I met Milton, I knew I'd found the one for me. He met all the criteria in Ruth Graham's prayer poem. I sat down one day and wrote my own prayer poem in response, "And So He Came." At our wedding, I quoted both of these poems (prerecorded because I was a shy, nervous bride).

I've now written a companion prayer poem to Ruth Graham's entitled "Let Her Be Like Thee" for young men to pray as they're seeking God for a mate.

I've written a novel that echoes mine and Milton's love story, and I have permission from Mrs. Graham to use her poem in my novel. One day I hope to see that story published, for the theme is "Purity before marriage and fidelity afterward bring great reward." Oh, it's so romantic!

I hope you enjoy reading "Let Him Be Like Thee" and "And So He Came," below.

I bless you in the name of the Lord today, that those who are close to you who are seeking a mate will find God's choice, the best choice. Amen.

Let Him Be Like Thee
By
Ruth Graham (Mrs. Billy)
"Dear God," I prayed, all unafraid,
(As girls are apt to be),
"I do not want a handsome man,
But let him be like Thee.
"I do not need one big and strong,
Nor one so very tall,
Nor need he be some genius,
Or wealthy, Lord, at all.
"But let his head be high, dear God,
And let his eyes be clear,
His shoulders straight, whate'er his state,
Whate'er his earthly sphere.
"And let his face have character
A ruggedness of soul,
And let his whole life show, dear God,
A singleness of goal.
"And when he comes, as he will come,
With quiet eyes aglow,
I'll understand that he's the man
I prayed for long ago."
And So He Came
By
Kristy Dykes (Mrs. Milton)
"And so he came, dear Lord, one day,
And set my heart aglow,
I knew he was the one I prayed for,
On that day so long ago.
"I prayed so modestly, dear Lord,
And didn't ask for much,
But You knew all along, dear Lord,
And used Your heavenly touch.
"He's as handsome as a picture
With hair as black as coal.
And eyes that always understand,
Revealing his compassionate soul.
"He is so very tall and strong
But that's not all, dear Lord,
His heart is full of tenderness,
That only love affords.
"I've met the one You chose for me
My heart is filled with mirth,
I thank You, Lord, so very much,
For heaven here on earth."

1 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger Tom Zart said...

Tom Zart's Christian Love Poem


Humans have always had their need for love
Long before they could calculate the year.
Painting on the walls of caves and tombs
Stories of accomplishment, conquest and fear.

Life is a constant contest of struggle
Plagued by greed, love, war, work and debate.
Between all we love; those we tolerate
And some we can’t help but hate.

I’d rather be loved and love in return
Then have a rich man’s gold piled high.
Id rather be loved by someone worthy
With honor, compassion and no need to lie.

I’d rather be loved then be crowned a king
Of a vast empire of power and domain.
I’d rather be loved and never forgotten
Not alone, overwhelmed, and ashamed.

I’d rather be loved for my unselfish behavior
Eager to protect, provide and preserve.
I’d rather be loved for staying resolute
To my commitment to love and to serve.

I’d rather be loved for my awareness of duty
More then anything life can bestow me.
I’d rather be loved and receive God’s grace
As I lay down my life before Thee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home