Wednesday, November 01, 2006

HAPPY?

My heart bled when I read Anonymous's comment on Monday:

I have been married for 4 years now. I have been with my husband for 6 years. The last 3 years he has become addicted to serious drugs..I stuck it out and supported him in hopes that he would be able to get over his addiction...but one drug has led to another and so on. I just filed my divorce papers 3 days ago for the 2nd. time. The 1st time I did not end up going through with it. I sometimes wish I just had got it over with then. Me and my son have been hurt too much and I feel like I could have prevented it. Then I go to church and I hear preaching...about husbands that need to be saved.....I wonder if I am doing the right thing??? ANY ADVICE?????

Kristy, here: My eyes are misting over right now. I am praying for you, Anonymous, and hope to post tomorrow in response to your comment. Perhaps what I say, below, especially the last part, will bring some comfort to you.

###

Yesterday, I posted about the words joy and happiness in the Bible and how they apply to marriage. Many people erroneously think their mate is supposed to make them happy.

But it's very important to understand that no person, place, or thing can bring lasting happiness.
What, you ask?

That's right.

No person, place, or think can bring lasting happiness.

No man.

No handsome man.

No Christian man.

The scripture says, “In Your presence (the Lord's) is fullness of joy.”

There's an old song that sums up the reality of life, love, marriage, everything:

Only Jesus can satisfy your soul,
And only He can give you strength
And make you whole.

He'll give you peace you never knew,
Sweet love and joy, and heaven too,
For only Jesus can satisfy your soul.

That's the secret to happiness in marriage. Only Jesus can fill that vacuum deep in our hearts.

2 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

This message alone could lower the divorce rate by 1/3. Too often we seek happiness through our mates. (I've been guilty of this.) When we don't find it, we opt to throw out the relationship and maybe find another in which we believe we'll be happier. (Thank God I haven't done this.)

That scripture goes on to say "at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore". Who doesn't want eternal pleasure?

Too many are looking for happiness in all the wrong places...

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thank you, Patricia, for your comment. Wise, wonderful words. Confirmation for me. Thanks again. P.S. I like your picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home