Monday, September 17, 2007

MILTON MONDAY: VITAMINS?


By Milton Dykes

I haven’t taken daily vitamins for years. I know some people take them religiously every day, and I suppose that is a good thing to do. When I was a boy, my mother made sure we took vitamins. Mom and Dad still take them, and they are in their eighties. It must work.

This past Tuesday evening, I spoke at an event and told the people I had some free medicine for all who were present. I didn’t have any prescriptions or vitamins, or for that matter any health foods. What I did offer were a few laughs that were guaranteed to cheer the heart and strengthen the spirit. “A merry heart does good like a medicine,” according to Proverbs 17:22.

Spurgeon, the prince of preachers, encouraged laughter and laughed as often as possible. He laughed at the ironies of life. He laughed at comical incidents. He laughed at amusing elements of nature. He even laughed at his critics. He loved to share wholesome jokes with his friends and colleagues in ministry. Humor permeates his sermons and writings. He saw the value spiritually and practically for having merry heart.

"Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face." —Hugo.
Henry Beecher put it this way: "A man without mirth is like a wagon without springs. He is jolted disagreeably by every pebble in the road."

Families are like fudge…mostly sweet, with a few nuts. Now, lighten up and laugh. You will live longer and enjoy the journey better. Take your laughter vitamin daily.

3 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good comments!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Families are like fudge...

I have to remember that one!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Yes, I enjoyed Milton's article, too. He's a great writer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home