Saturday, October 13, 2007

SATURDAY MORNING SUNRISE--AT THE BEACH


I've anchored my soul
In the haven of rest.
I'll sail the wide seas no more.
The tempest may sweep,
O'er the wild, stormy deep,
But in Jesus,
I'm safe evermore.

These are the words of an old hymn. I was reminded of them this morning as we sat on the beach sipping coffee and watching the sun come up over the Atlantic Ocean. First, it was dark. Then the sky pinkened. Then it turned orange, then peach, and presto, a double sunrise--a second sun a reflection in the sudsy surf. Then, the sky went back to pinkening, and before long it was baby blue, and the day had begun. A few gulls flittered here and there, and a lonely jogger or two swoped by, plus some dog walkers crossed our view. We didn't have the pleasure of seeing a school of dolphins, like we've seen before, but still, it was spectacular.

I sat there quoting from Genesis: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void, and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then God said, 'Let there be light' and there was light."


The words, above, are from the hymn The Haven of Rest.

I'm grateful my soul has entered the haven of rest. Oh, wait. Rest? On the way to and from the beach, we were discussing the needs of the ministry, and possible solutions, and ideas, ad infinitum. How to see more souls won into the Kingdom, how to grow our church, how to see our congregation blessed. What to do about this and that and the other. We experienced another death Thursday. Milton arrived to see the deceased sitting in his recliner. A grieving family. A funeral Monday. My writing. Making it the best it can be. Finding the right publisher for it. Wanting God to bless it. It seemed it was anything but rest to this pastor and his wife as they labored over (continually) doing the will of God in all their ways.

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Wait, there's more.

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Oh, man, this is good.

But the best is yet to come...

"For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Matthew 11:28-30.

Thank You, Lord! I'm resting in your haven.

Webster's: "haven": a place offering favorable opportunities or conditions."

I receive that!

Both for the church and my writing. A double sunrise. A double blessing.

6 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger Kay Day said...

Beautiful photos!
Thank you for stopping by my blog!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

And thank you for stopping by mine, Kay! Glad you came. Come back.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger batgirl said...

Kristy,
How incredibly beautiful. I gaze out at the same ocean, just a bit up the coast in CT, every morning I get a chance, and watch that very same sunrise (probably wearing a couple more layers than you this time of year). What a gift it is. Drinking in that ocean air, feeling the breeze; it is very, very good for my soul.
This post was a blessed reminder to me. got me crying. Thank you and bless you and your husband this week. Peace all over you...

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Brittanie said...

I love your pictures. My Dad,me, and my sister went to Gulf Shores AL in August. I have some of my pictures posted on my xanga site.
If you want to see them it is www.xanga.com/booklover1983
I loved just looking at the beach and the horizon. :)

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Janet, for stopping by, and for your kind, CONFIRMING comments. You touched my heart. Neat, that you get to see the same sunrise! Oh, it's beautiful!

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Brittanie, for commenting. I love looking at--and taking--pictures. Thanks for the link to your pics. God bless--

 

Post a Comment

<< Home