Wednesday, August 31, 2005

THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN, PART 3

I value Focus on the Family's opinions, revere them even. After all, they're the protector of family values, a voice crying in the darkness, what's so needed today. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the badness and evil in the world, but then I remember that the Bible teaches us to hold up our candle in the darkness and let it shine for Christ. Always remember, Light always dispels darkness. Ever been on a camping trip when even the moon isn't out and it's pitch black? And you turn on your camper lantern, and presto, you have light? Or, when you walk in a room at night, grope for the light switch, and flick it on, and all of a sudden, glorious light appears? To me, that's what Focus on the Family is. As Christians, we may not feel like we're making a dent in the onslaught of wickeness. But we are, if we're doing our part.

I came across a review of the movie The 40-Year-Old Virgin which quoted Bob Waliszewski and Marcus Yoars, staffers at Focus on the Family. (Note: As a journalist, I want my quotes to be accurate. The following information is from a review in The Florida Times Union.)

Focus on the Family sent out a press release a few days before Virgin came out, expressing its concern that the movie tells teens "that virginity is something to be ashamed of, something to get rid of like it was a bad bruise or a runny nose." Though Waliszewski hadn't seen the movie, he said he'd heard about it. "It's an absolute sleazefest, very, very vulgar." What about the glowing reviews, he was asked? That Steve Carell's virginal character Andy might actually be a good role model? That (the movie is saying) it's okay for Andy to wait until he's truly in love? Garbage, Waliszewski says, is garbage. "It's not worthwhile when you couch it in that vulgar and racy garbage. Whether he ends up doing the right things or not doesn't change the fact that there are teenagers in the movie theater thinking, 'Gee, I'm 17 years old and I'm still a virgn--there must be something wrong with me.'" That's the wrong message to send, he says. He cites studies that show that "most teens who've had sex say they wish they had waited."

Then the reviewer talked with Marcus Yoars, 29, associate editor of Focus on the Family's website, www.pluggedinonline.com. When asked if he laughed while viewing the film, Yoars says, "A couple of times. But I laughed very little. It's sad when you're toying with something so sensitive to people. I'll give the filmmakers some props -- they tried to make this guy somewhat unashamed about his celibacy. But what's the good in that, when it's buried under layers of crud?"

"This has gotten glowing reviews," Yoars says, "but it really puzzles me that everyone says, 'This is great! It has a great underlying moral message!' It's incredibly raunchy!"

Well, like I said, I don't go to movies as a general rule. I hear and read enough about them to scratch any itch that may crop up. But if I did, I sure wouldn't go see The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home