Tuesday, June 27, 2006

All kinds of Christian love stories

We're having a kids' crusade at church this week. Puppets. Games. Prizes. Songs. Bible stories. A moonwalk jumping tent. Fun. Laughter. A blast. And the most important thing. The gospel being presented, and little ones finding the Lord as their Savior.

A Christian love story.

I found the Lord as my Savior when I was little. In fact, I was so little, I don't even remember it. I just always remember loving Jesus and wanting to serve Him and live for Him and work for Him. And that's what I've done. All the days of my life.

A Christian love story.

I've been passionate about the Lord for as long as I can remember. Chalk it up to a good mother who taught me and led me in the ways of the Lord. The Scriptures flowed from her mouth. She was No. 5 in the nation in the Henrietta Mears Sunday School Teacher of the Year Contest (1995), and we caught the things she taught as we were growing up. When Terry and I argued or toussled? He's my brother two years older than I. "Quote this," Mother would say. "'Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.'" And we'd quote it and quit toussling. Me, afraid to run for county office in a high school club where nearly 500 delegates were gathering? "'What time I am afraid, I will put my trust in thee,'"she'd say, and make me quote it. And, "'I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me.'" Then she helped me write my speech, memorize it, and lo and behold, I won!

On and on I could go with examples of how we lived. Jesus was the focus at our house.

A Christian love story.

That's why the characters in my novels do the things they do, i.e., know the Scriptures and pray. A lot.

Christian love stories.

The other day, I got a letter from a reader of my novel The Tender Heart who said, "When you almost want to pray for the characters, that is a high compliment to the author! God bless!"

Another reader of the same book said, "I enjoyed this love story, the characters, and the graceful interlacing of Christian values and Bible passages."

Another reader of The Tender Heart called me. Found my number somehow. He was a Baptist preacher. "I praise God for you." He wanted to know if I would consider writing a sequel. "I have to know about Kit, who killed the turkey," he said. "What happens to her? Who does she marry?"

A reader of my novella in Room At the Inn said, "I loved Lois's close, personal relationship with the Lord. There are things that I could definitely learn from this character."

I seek to entertain, encourage, and enlighten my readers. The Three E's.

Through Christian love stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home