Wednesday, May 24, 2006

THE DOLLMAKER

I'm reading The Dollmaker by Harriette Arnow right now. A long time ago, a friend gave me the video of The Dollmaker, a made-for-TV movie starring Jane Fonda. It's an emotionally gripping story that never leaves you. The storyline (plot). The characters. The setting(s). When I saw the paperback awhile back, I bought it but put it on my bookshelf as my TBR (to be read) pile is always waist-high, it seems. I picked it up the other night and am finding it as gripping as the movie. Oh, my, what a story.

The Dollmaker
By Harriette Arnow
"An epic story of unique personal triumph"
Author Joyce Carol Oates calls it "Our most unpretentious American masterpiece...a brutal, beautiful novel."
It's set in the Kentucky hills during World War II, and then later, when the family moves, in war-time Detroit.
More on The Dollmaker later...

1 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'll have to check it out. Thanks Kristy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home