Wednesday, July 12, 2006

KISSING--IS IT GOOD FOR YOU?

I'm still writing a multi-part post on my need and desire to re-read Pollyanna for the development of my writing. I'll continue with that tomorrow.


Last evening, we decided to go for a bike ride. I put on my sneakers and went into the kitchen to get us some bottles of water for our water holders on our bikes. Milton was standing by the counter putting on his sunglasses (this is Florida; it was sunny). Feeling an urge to kiss him, I went over to him and stood on tiptoes (he's almost six feet; I'm five one). I put my arms around his neck and gave him a really good kiss, not a peck.


"Wanna' stay home?" A wicked gleam lit his features as his hand slid to my backside.


I giggled and kissed him again then drew back and looked into his eyes. "We're going on a bike ride, remember?"


He pushed his body into mine.


"Let's just kiss awhile," I said. "Don't you remember when we were dating, and we couldn't go all the way?"


"But now we can."


Laughing, I playfully tapped his chest.


### (Scene break in fiction)


In marriage, many couples don't do much out-of-bed kissing. Sometimes it's because of babies, bottles, and bills. Interpretation: hectic lives and stress. Or maybe they just forget. Whatever the reason, couples need to kiss more often. It's healthy for your marriage. It also emotionally healthy for your children. A famous judge once said, "The greatest thing a father can do for his children is to love his wife." When children see their parents kissing and being romantic, it makes them feel secure and loved. They see affection on TV between the unmarried and the married-but-not-to-each-other, so why not between their mommies and daddies?


A few years ago, I ran across this:

Husbands who are kissed before going to work:
1. Live five years longer.
2. Have fewer accidents.
3. Make 15% more money.


After I read that, I said, "Milton, we're going to do more kissing around here!" And we have. And our "rule" is that it has to be at least a 20-second kiss, not a peck.


Milton and I have taught many Joy in Marriage seminars to church groups, and we teach them to "revisit the sizzle." Many have thanked us for bringing a new spark to their marriages. Some have even said our teaching saved them from divorce. ("Lord," Milton and I constantly pray, "we give You all the praise and glory and honor for these great testimonies. It's nothing we've done.")


I saw the following on the Internet, and I knew it was true (GRIN):


"Why Kissing Is Good for You"


1. It helps prevent tooth decay. Dr. Peter Gorden, Dental Advisor at the British Dental Association, explains, "Kissing is nature's own cleaning process. It brings plaque levels down to normal."


2. It relieves tension. A passionate kiss is a great relaxation technique, says stress consultant Michelle McNabb. "When your mouth is in a kissing position, you're almost smiling."


3. It helps you lose weight. "A long kiss makes the metabolism burn up sugar faster than usual," says Claire Porter. "The calories burned depend on the intensity of the kiss."


Then, b – r – e – a – k – i – n – g n – e – w – s!!!!


The following appeared in the Summer 2006 issue of Marriage Partnership, and I was confident my Internet information on kissing was The Gospel (VERY BIG GRIN):


"Not Just A Kiss"


The lyrics from that old song are wrong—a kiss is definitely more than just a kiss. Here are a few facts about smooching:


1. A one-minute kiss works off 26 calories. (Kristy's note: Have you ever tried to kiss for one whole, entire minute? Sheesh. That's a long time on the kissing clock. But it's fun trying. Wednesdays are Milton's study days in our home office for sermon preparation, and he's sitting behind me at his desk right now.


"Milton," I say, "Marriage Partnership says you can burn 26 calories with a one-minute kiss."


"Twenty-six calories?" he says. "How can that be?" His right eyebrow raises. "You gotta' be doing more than kissing."


I cackle. "Come on. Let's try it."


He's game. Always.


We position ourselves so I can watch the clock.


The second hand hits the 15 mark. "Okay," I say. "Let's start."


We start kissing. Fifteen seconds go by.


His hands start sliding downward.


I swat them away, my lips locked on his.


Twenty-five seconds go by. I remember that quote about smiling during kissing. Oh, yes. Something about relaxation. Well, I'm definitely not thinking about anything but kissing Milton.


Thirty-five seconds. More hand movement. His hands again. Sheesh. Now I know why he's part Italian. He has Roman hands. (Not really. That's an old joke I've told him for years.)


Forty-five seconds. Our lips are still locked. This is fun.


Sixty seconds.


"Okay," I say. "We did it."


"Forget my sermon," he says.


### (Scene break in fiction)


Where was I?


Oh, point two in the short article, "Not Just A Kiss," in Marriage Partnership:


2. Our brains have special neurons that help us find our mate's mouth in the dark. (No wonder making out at the movies is so much fun!) (Kristy's note: We never went to the movies when we were dating—weren't allowed to. But yes, you can find your mate's mouth in the dark very quickly and easily. I've had years of practice, so I can attest to this. Though we do like candles burning occasionally!)


3. A passionate kiss quickens your heart rate to 100 beats per minute. (Kristy's note: I'll agree.)


4. Kissing reduces tooth decay because the extra saliva generated by a lip-lock cleans your teeth. (Kristy's note: "You've gotta' be pulling my leg," she says with disbelief in her voice. "I'll rely on flossing, thank you very much.")


5. Nine out of 10 couples in happy relationships kiss before bed. (Kristy's note: Amen and amen.)


So, if you're married, go find your spouse and give him or her a great big lip-lock. And kiss more often. You'll be climbing Spice Mountain (a Song of Solomon reference).

9 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

Okay, that's hilarious, Kristy!! And MUCH MORE fun than an aerobic workout!! Gotta go. Hubby is home on vacation . . . . ;-)

Diann

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Laughing out loud here, Diann, at your comment. Thanks for a day brightener!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Edgy Inspirational Author said...

This is totally hilarious. I love it!!! Sounds like me and my husband. So why aren't we skinnier, eh?

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love this post! What fun! My husband is in for a surprise when he gets home!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Right, Michelle. I should weigh 98 pounds instead of....!

LOL

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Funny and steamy! Loved the scene breaks, Kristy! Why does the world think they have all the fun? LOL If they only knew. :o)

Well, I think I'll go find my dh and lose some weight!

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe...loved the post! My hubby and I kiss a lot, but I'm thinking we need to try the one minute lip lock and maybe the 20 second rule. ;)

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Steamy, Ane? Funny, you should say that. Years ago, before I was published, a person read one of my manuscript and said, "Quit reading all those Harlequins, girl! Don't write like that."

Me? Who'd never read a Harlequin in her life? My mama wouldn't've allowed me, if I'd wanted to.

I was just writing romantic scenes from my innocent point of view.

Ah...

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ha ha!!!! Should I even be reading this??? After all you're my MOM!!!

No really, it's wonderful to read that my parents are still in love! I'm so happy for you and Dad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home