Thursday, July 06, 2006

MY HUSBAND'S PRAYER

I sometimes read author interviews to Milton, my husband. He's in this journey with me--of writing Christian love stories to the glory of God. He goes with me to writers' conferences and advises me and prays for me. He's often said, "You go with me to ministers' conferences (and I've even taught at them when he was in charge of them for our state denominational office), and so now I'm going with you to your conferences so I can support you and do all I can to see your dream fulfilled."

My dream? To continue to write Christian love stories, so that readers may be entertained, encouraged, and enlightened. The Three E's.

What a wonderful thing it is, to have a Christian mate who supports your dream, and not only supports it, but has become a part of it.

So yesterday I was reading aloud an author interview to him that had been posted on http://noveljourney.blogspot.com. I enjoy reading the interviews and learning about the journeys different authors take on their road to publication. For some, it's almost an overnight process. For others, it's a years-long, slugging-out process. That's been my journey.

Milton and I have many dreams we want to see fulfilled in my writing. He, better than anyone else, knows the time and effort and finance I've put into this journey. I've learned the craft (and will continue to learn until my toes turn up); I've joined writers' organizations; I've had a critique partner; I've studied diligently; I teach writing; I write two columns for writers' organizations; I give free critiques. I've spent thousands of hours in the last dozen years reading other authors' novels and then writing my own.

So when I was reading aloud this author interview yesterday, Milton said, "Turn around and take my hands." I stopped reading in mid-sentence and did as he asked. We faced each other and clasped hands tightly, and he led us in one of the most beautiful prayers. One of Milton's many gifts is his prayers. They are heart-felt. They are powerful. They are eloquent. They are powerful. Did I say that already? When he leads our congregation in responsive prayers, like he did last night at church, we feel like we're in heaven kneeling before the throne--in the very presence of Jesus. And we feel like something IS going to happen, no matter how bleak the situation we are praying about seems.

I sat there knee to knee with him as he prayed, my eyes welling with tears. I wish I'd had a recorder to capture his prayer, but of course I didn't. This morning, before he left to go to the church, I asked him if he could repeat it. He couldn't--not with the anointing that was upon him yesterday--but he did say a few things he'd prayed.

Here are some of the words of his prayer:

I thank You Lord, for Kristy's gifts and talents, and her obedience to You. I ask You, Lord, to bring Your creativity and anointing upon her to write the stories that are of Your design and will. I ask You, Lord, to open the doors that will bring about Your will in Kristy's life, and that You will grant her favor.

Lord, the workman is worthy of his hire, and Kristy has diligently prepared herself to do what You have called her to do. I ask you to bless her so she can enjoy the fruit of her labors.

I pray today for the favor of the Lord to come upon Kristy.

Like I said, it's wonderful to have a prayer partner who will stand in agreement with you. Oh, yes, that's another thing he prayed--the prayer of agreement. That's found in Matthew 18:19 where Jesus says: "Again I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven."

We've prayed that prayer many times together. And we've seen answers. Two specific answers to prayer are bubbling in my heart, but I can't share them today. I'm off to the church. We're taking the secretaries out to lunch to show our appreciation. We've chosen to take them to a fabulous glass-fronted restaurant on the St. John's River.

Now. A quick prayer from my heart: "Lord, thank You for a Christian mate. Thank You that he shares my dream and encourages me in it. In Jesus' name. Amen."

Ah. A Christian love story.

Worth writing about.

1 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog! So interesting! You make me want to come back for more and I know you IRL and talk to you all the time! You're a great writer! Love ya mom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home