Wednesday, March 14, 2007

TIME PASSES QUICKLY, AND THE SUN HEALS THE DAMAGE


Pictured are my tropical plants and the cold damage they recently sustained. Banana trees and three-headed pygmy palm trees. If temps dip below 40, they're in danger, and even though we live in Florida, we recently got a few nights of high 30s temps. Though we covered my palms with blankets, they still got burned by the cold. The banana trees are simply too big and profuse to try and cover.
Now, I have a good half a day's work staring me in the face to prune them. It'll be hard work. I know from experience. And nasty work, at least pruning the banana trees. I have to use several tools, including a long knife, hedge clippers, and a fancy kind of clipper. Some of the banana trees, I'll prune down to their trunks, and that's where the nasty work is--a thick, gooey substance oozes as I do it, making a huge mess.
Then I have to cut the clippings into manageable lengths. Then I have to line a large garbage can with black yard bags and fill bag after bag with the clippings, then drag them around to the other side of the house until it's yard trash pick-up day.
To prune my palms, I don special gloves and gently bend the brown fronds down to the trunks, being careful not to let the sharp needles prick my arms. At trunk level, I clip the fronds, and then I go through the putting-them-in-the-black-bags routine, again being careful not to let them cut my arms.

Within a short amount of time, both the banana trees and the pygmy palms are full and lush and green. I know that from experience. I'll post a picture of them in their state of glorious health and vibrancy--when they reach it.
What's this have to do with marriage or relationships?
I'm getting there.
Yesterday, I was standing in the yard talking to my neighbor, lamenting the cold damage.
"They'll bounce back," she said. "They'll be green in no time."
"I know. But if they hadn't gotten cold damage, they'd be growing taller right now instead of just recovering."
Again, she assured me they'd be fine, and when I looked at her yardful of mature plants and thought about how much longer she'd lived here and how much damage--and growth--she'd seen in those years, I knew she was right. Another thought hit me: Time passes quickly, and the sun heals the damage.
What's this have to do with marriage or relationships?
Ah, I'm here.
Sometimes in relationships, you sustain damage. Things go awry. I can think of lots of things that can happen in relationships or marriages. The wronged party's first thought might be, This is it. It's over. I'm done.
But I have personally witnessed marriages and relationships bouncing back after severe damage. I have seen a spouse who had a moral failure make it right and never do it again and the marriage solidify. I have seen other problems couples have encountered, and they went on to experience blessing.
There is hope. A marriage on the rocks can make it over the rocks and find sure footing. I've seen it happen.
So if your marriage or relationship is suffering, just remember: Time passes quickly, and the Son heals the damage.

4 Comments:

At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your site through ACFW. I have enjoyed visiting and reading your blog. I hate to hear about the cold getting your plants and trees. I liked the way you tied it in with marriage and relationships.

Crystal
daretodream@lycos.cm

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks for your comments, Crystal. I appreciate them. The plants'll be nice and green by summertime. BTW, I love your email addy.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Those first "hits" (not physical ones) take a lot out of you, because you're not expecting them. And because they hurt. But overtime, it's not as bad, hopefully, not because you've gotten used to the pain but because the "hits" are fewer and farther between and because they fall on a mature, softened heart.

Just had a minor disagreement with DH by phone. Just minutes ago. In years past, the same disagreement would have escalated into a full-blown war. When we were quick with our tongues and slow with our hearts.

In a nutshell, I made a mistake with huge potential consequences for his business. I felt as though he was beating me up when he reminded me of the consequences and chastised me--just a wee bit-- for making the mistake.

But it's okay. Because he called back after a few minutes--we've learned that a "cooling off", however brief helps loads--and reminded me that we've come too far TOGETHER for either of us to be overly sensitive and get bent out of shape, and that we'll trust God TOGETHER that my mistake will return void.

The Spirit had already reminded me that DH was letting off a little steam out of frustration and that I had probably been a little too touchy about his remarks because I heard the words but forgot to look at his heart. It was nice, and a sign of how far we've both grown, to have him call to smooth my ruffled feathers. He had to run into a meeting but I'll be sure to tell him how much I appreciated that second call this evening.

Marriage, the institution, can sustain much damage if we allow God to help us weather the elements.

Thanks for letting me get that out. Just so happened that I read your blog immediately following the episode.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

My eyes grew moist as I read your comments. Wow, how deep, and how helpful they are, for couples. If it's okay, I'd like to put your comments in tomorrow's post. Thanks for letting my readers read your comments about your experience. It's powerful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home