Tuesday, May 01, 2007

IF I CAN JUST GET HIM INTERESTED IN COOKING...






Milton used to do his studying for sermon preparation on his study day on our lanai (back porch), pictured here. I called it his prayer room. He'd glide in the glider or rock in the swivel rocker, a cup of coffee nearby, enjoying birdsong and the Bible, Somewhere, Over the Rainbow wafting through the surround-sound speakers from FM radio, or, How Great Thou Art and praise choruses from CDs.


But recently, he took up the hobby of gardening, and now, he likes to hang out under the great big Florida sky. He's made our 20 x 20 deck and backyard a showplace, profuse with flowers. He's filled rectangle planters with flowers and placed them atop our fence; he's planted flowers in new stone-bordered flower beds he's created in several places; he's resodded with St. Augustine Floratam sod; he's even sanded and repainted the wrought iron deck furniture. Soon, he tells me, he's going to restain the deck.








Yippeeyiyippeeyayyippeeyo. It is so pretty out here, his garden sanctuary.






Yesterday, I asked him why his sudden interest in flowers? (He's always done the yard and hedge trimming and weed eating and edging.)



"Remember that tour of homes we went on in December?"



One of our hobbies is going on tours of homes. Okay, it started out as my hobby, and he finally joined in. Now, we love to see other people's homes, million-dollar condos on the river, historic homes, even historic churches. In December, we went in about 8 or 10 homes, and our eyes went ga-ga at the pretty sights, both indoors and out.


"When we went in all those homes," he said, "I saw how some did their backyards. It gave me some ideas."


We sure are enjoying the fruit of his labors. With this gorgeous Florida weather, we've been having cookouts on the deck, or just carrying our supper (Southern for dinner) out there and enjoying nature. Okay, everything except that whipporwill who keeps whip-whip-whip-or-willing at odd hours.


###


Now, if I can just get him interesting in cooking...


GRIN

What about if we signed up for some cooking classes...

GRIN

6 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

It's worth a try!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Haha, Patricia!

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, When is the next tour? I want to try and get my husband to go. Maybe he will get inspired. I am the one that does all the yard work. I used to enjoy it, but lately it is becomeing a chore. I could use all the motivation I can get for my man...... LOL

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Show your hubby these pics on my site. Besides getting my husband to go on home tours with me, I showed him author Deb Raney's site where she shows pics of her floer-bedecked patio, saying her husband did it all. I think that inspired my husband, too. Blessings on your backyard!!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

I meant FLOWER-bedecked patio.

 
At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Milton inherited the gardening trait from his Grandmother Dykes.

Good job Son...............

Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home