Monday, October 15, 2007

HE'S NOT "GONE;" YOU JUST CAN'T SEE HIM RIGHT NOW


My husband Milton is a master pulpiteer. The content of his sermons is excellent, and so is his delivery. And he's the best funeral preacher I've ever heard. He comforts, cheers, and encourages; he brings out happy memories of the deceased, and he can even get the mourners laughing. Today, at a funeral, when he mentioned the deceased's dog Pork Chop, everybody laughed, which brought a light moment in the midst of grief. And this family desperately needed lightness and comfort. They buried another family member only 10 days ago.
You're lucky to get Milton Dykes to preach your funeral. He has a gift. Today, he closed with this illustration which was especially poignant since we live near the beach.
Two people were standing on the beach and saw a ship out on the ocean. After a few moments, it sailed away, and one man said, "It's gone." The other man said, "It's not gone. You just can't see it right now."
Milton said, "(The man who passed away) isn't 'gone.' His spirit is very much alive--in heaven. You just can't see him right now."
I'm thankful that if we have confessed Jesus as Lord and Savior (Romans 10:9, 10), then when this earthly body dies, we live forever with the Lord in heaven.
***
You do a lot of hugging at funerals. Hugs show love, comfort, care, concern, warmth, and kindliness. Christlikeness, personified.

2 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Crystal Laine said...

I love that illustration. How beautiful and comforting. How special your pastor-hubby is.

Kristy, I love romances and noticed that some of your favorite authors are mine, too. I just hadn't read them in so long, I had almost forgotten. I especially like Eugenia Price!

Beautiful blog. Keep writing!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Crystal, for your comments. And your kindness.

I just reread my profile. There are so many wonderful authors "out there," aren't there? I occasionally reread books I've loved in the past. Just reread Ladies of Missalonghi by Colleen McCullough. Though I still like it, I'll never forget reading it for the first time.

Stop back by, okay?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home