Sunday, October 28, 2007

NO RESEARCH NEEDED--AT TIMES


Some days, I write, write, write. Other days, my ministry duties or life in general keep me from it. Christian bestselling novelist Francine Rivers says she strives to write at least four pages a day but doesn't always achieve that.

Yesterday, I got down three. I felt pretty good. This is the story that has been like pulling teeth to write—the only story that's ever been this way for me. In essence, it's been hard. Most times, the words explode out of my fingertips, as NY Times bestselling novelist Pat Conroy says.

Getting three pages written, but taking into account that this was a whole new set of characters I was introducing to this novel, I felt it was a good day of writing.

Then I had to stop and get ready for a church member's fish fry. I pushed aside "the muse" (in my case, "the anointing" because I believe my writing is a gift from God), and ran to shower and dress. I was standing in front of the mirror doing my makeup when Milton came in, took me in his arms, kissed me, and said, "Let's stay home and play."

I started giggling. I couldn't help it. That very morning, in my manuscript, I'd had my character take his wife in his arms as she was getting dressed, kiss her, and say, "Let's stay home." I thought, Bingo, just what my line of dialogue needs. I knew I would add the words and play to my novel. So, last night, after we got home, I did just that, and when I looked up over two hours later, I'd added a whole page!

All because of something my husband said to me.

###

It's so much fun writing love stories, especially when you don't need to research!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home