Thursday, July 31, 2008

ROADBLOCK ON THE FULLER WARREN BRIDGE

Milton, here for Kristy:

It was the summer of '71. It was hot. I was doing a summer internship in Columbus, Ga., and Kristy was feverishly planning a wedding. Letters were daily landing in Columbus and Jacksonville that were to hot to touch. We were too far apart.

The pastor I was working with was kind to give days off to make a fast run to see my redhead so off to Jax I flew in an old un-airconditioned Ford Fairlane. It was a gift for college graduation from mom and dad. Dad said a poor ride was better than a proud walk so I drove it with no shame and with thanksgiving.

The church I worked at told me I could fill my car up anytime it was empty so off the their designated station I drove to fill her up before leaving town. The gas tank was full and now off to see my redhead I sped.

It was late Friday night as I am getting closer to Jacksonville and it dawns on me I have no money, no change, no credit cards. There are no phones, gas stations, or friends on my side the St Johns River and I have to pay a toll on the Fuller Warren Bridge to cross the St. Johns River to get my kiss from Kristy.

The Fuller Warren Bridge was turned into a road block to my soon lover to be.

Now, I know what you are thinking. This man has to be smarter than this, doesn't he? Well,,,,young lovers aren't always known for brilliance. What is the saying...deaf, dumb, and blind,...add sometimes stupid. How could I have left Columbus with not one red cent in my pocket or a credit card?    

How can I get to my sweetheart tonight? How can I pass this toll to steal a kiss? There has to be an answer.

I've driven I-75 South and I've turned East on I-10 with about an hour to the roadblock to Kristy.

Maybe I can swim the river. Is there a ferry? Maybe I'll make like a movie chase and crash through the toll. Handcuffs come to my mind. Bridegroom goes to jail. Kristy would not like that. My ministerial credentials would be delayed and I would not be able to get a job and we would starve. Kristy would not like that either.

Oh, that redhead was calling me. No, not on a cell phone. It was 1971. The call was in my heart. I had to get through that roadblock. There was no stopping me.

Ah, blessed idea. My car was a grey government surplus car that dad had bought at a good price and all the seats were removable.

Idea! What was under those seats?

Idea! Old men drop coins out of their pockets.

Idea! Remove the seats. Find some coins.

Idea! Get through the roadblock to my beloved.

I pulled off I-10 and lifted up the seats. There is a dime, a nickel, two quarters, a few pennies.

The bridge is safe. The City of Jacksonville is safe. I won't have to crash through it to get to Kristy.

I dropped my coins in the bucket and sped just a little faster to steal a kiss before Grace and Udell caught me.

21 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger Just Me said...

What a precious, sweet memory! Thank you for sharing this.... Hold onto those moments. They are eternal.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. It brighted my day. I agree with lady-in-the-making above... memories are precious and eternal. Thanks for sharing your memories.
Linda Reece

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me laugh out loud, Milton. We married in 1971, and the first year of marriage we sometimes checked under the car seats for loose change if we wanted to see a movie.

I love that you're recalling precious memories. They're a salve, aren't they?

God bless you, brother.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me think of my early days with hubby, how sweet. It also makes me realize I need to slow down in this rat race we live, and spend more time with my husband. Thank you Bro. Dykes for sharing this.

Teresa from T-Town

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That story was so sweet it gave me shivers. Blessed, blessed memories....

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

What a fun story! You are a very resourceful guy. Thanks for sharing this special memory.

I am thinking of you today and praying for you and your precious daughters and grandkids. May you all find comfort today.

Blessings,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories with Kristy.

May you find comfort in Jesus.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger B. J. Brooks said...

Awesome. A brillant solution to the problem.

I used a similar situation in "a book in the making," however my characters only needed ICE CREAM money on a joy ride around town. Nothing quite as serious as a kiss from your beloved during those wedding planning days.

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Many Blessings
B.J. Brooks
(Robinson)

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

LOL. You had me giggling all the way through your story. Milton, you really should think about writing out your stories about Kristy and you.

Thanks for sharing that delightful story!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Charlene said...

Love it love it...what a great story...

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Kathy Collard Miller said...

Precious memory, thanks!

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where there's a will, there's a way; especially when it comes to a young man getting to his bride-to-be. What a great story! I know Kristy was thankful for your resourcefulness!

Julia

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first time to hear this story, Milton. It brings back many memories of your Mother and me in our marriage. Loved the story.

Dad

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,
I remember your telling this story in Mobile soon after you and Kristy moved there straight from your honeymoon. You stayed on that honeymoon for a really long time. And we were all broke for a long time, too! So sweet. I can see you two young lovebirds in my mind's eye. The memory brings a smile and a tear. Love you, Kathy

 
At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton.
That story is soooo sweet and warms my heart.You are an awesome writer! I appreciate you keeping Kristy's blog going.
Praying for you and your family in Jonesboro, AR.
Karla

 
At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro Milton,

I echo Karla and others in thanking you for continuing to blog. I love dropping by to read about the real life romance between you and Kristy. Loved the coin story! I, too, hope you put your love story in a book. What a testimony to Jesus' love working in and through your lives!

Our prayers continue,

Nancy & family

 
At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words are truly divine and give us a small glimpse of what a wonderfull story you and your bride shared. It is such a sweet tribute to Kristy and I keep comming back to this blog for more, Thanks again Pastor

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogger has temperorily blocked Milton from entering new posts. Their robots have shut it down thinking that this is a spam website. A robot is a software devise used to monitor and work as directed.

They have assured me that this will be corrected ASAP.

I am sorry for the inconvenience but I guess this is part of Kristy's make them wait, make them laugh, make them cry.

I have a post for today which will tell you where I am and how I am doing.

Milton

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Rambling On said...

It's good to know there's at least one other person who had the privilege of driving a Ford Fairlane. In the mid-70's, when I was twentysomething, single, and vain, I drove my dad's old '67 Ford Fairlane to work for a while (it was a station-wagon, which only added to my stress level). Ironically, I found that I got more "adoring" looks from the males driving that thing than when I bought myself a white corvette a few years later. Funny how that worked.

Very charming story about a desperate attempt to steal a kiss.

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,

This is a story movies made from. You and your family continue to amaze me daily.

My prayers are with you all.

Lisa

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

What a blessed and fun memory, Milton! I'm left wondering: did Kristy know you were on the way? Did she pace the floor wondering where you were? Wonderin gif you had enough money to make the trip?

Somehow, I doubt it. She was singing and planning and trusting God to bring you to her. :D

As always, I pray for you when I check this blog, which is daily. How are the girls doing? And the grands? May the Lord bless them with fun memories, too. May there be laughter and joy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home