Monday, July 28, 2008

A BRIGHT SHINING LIGHT

Milton, here for Kristy:

Kristy's light always outshined the darkness. No matter how dark the place would be, her reflection of a Greater Light illuminated the environment. At gas stations, and with store clerks, and large speaking assignments, and through her writings, and with untold acts of kindness she let God's light shine through her. She never covered the light or was ashamed of the light.

One of the most wonderful witnesses of Christ through Kristy and through our family was to the CNA, Donna Jo, who cared for Kristy during her 3 months of illness at home before her passing. Christ's love touched Donna Jo over and over and Donna Jo renewed her commitment to Christ one Sunday while I was at church preaching. Kristy's friend, Sandra, led Donna Jo in a prayer of consecration and surrender to Christ. This Sunday Donna Jo was in church sitting on the fourth row.

I had Donna Jo stand so our people could see her and they applauded her for lovingly caring for Kristy. She wiped tears. We all wiped tears knowing what Kristy's love had meant to Donna Jo and how Christ had worked in Donna Jo's life and all of our lives.

When Kristy was so ill, we prayed, read Scripture, sang, told jokes, held her hands, comforted her, played soothing music and loved her every way we could think. Norma had a great idea and that was to read Kristy a novel so she went into Kristy's office and looked through all her books. She found an autographed copy of Robin Lee Hatcher's book, Loving Libby, and Donna Jo read it to Kristy over a period of a couple of weeks before Kristy passed. Norma randomly selected this book not knowing that Robin was one of Kristy's many writing friends. That's neat to me.

I bought another copy of this book and wrote a thank you to Donna Jo in it, and all of our family wrote similar thank you notes. I hugged Donna Jo Sunday morning in church and gave her this book along with other gifts.

Kristy enjoyed this story and smiled over and over at the hero. Norma said she was sure that Kristy thought the hero, Remington, looked like me. Kristy was warmed and comforted hearing a beautiful romance story as she was slipping from this life.

Thank you, Donna Jo, for your loving faithful care of my beloved Kristy. I look forward to your being in church soon when I preach so you can hear more about the love of God from our family.

11 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Milton,
Oh, that was so great to hear how Donna was blessed by her time in your home caring for Kristy. I sent an email to Robin about how her book was read to Kristy. I know she will be so glad to hear that it encouraged both Donna and Kristy.

The way you and your friends reached out to Donna is very touching. Thanks so much for sharing this with us today!

I prayed for you on my walk today, asking God to be very near and pour out His comfort.

Blessings,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger SRI said...

It's very sweet to hear how God used Kristy's illness to bring Donna Jo closer to Him.

Praying for you all,

Lee
Western Australia

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I continue to uplift you and your family during the loss of your best friend and beautiful wife, Milton. What a wonderful tribute you and your children (and grands)have given to Kristy.

By reading this blog, I have made decisions about how I would like my homegoing to be. I told my husband I wanted a celebration! I don't want people to cry; I want them to tell the stories that made up my life and laugh about the silly things I've done over the years. I want them to remember that I lived my life for the Lord and tried to reach others for Jesus.

Years ago, I, too, had planned to give away my jewelry (what little I have)when God called me home. And when you said that your daughters and grandchilden found such joy in this, it only reinforced my desire to do this.

Thank you for blessing each of us with Kristy -- a life well-lived for Jesus and for others.

I look forward to greeting her--on the other side.

God bless you all.

Nan S.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Just Me said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story with us. Amazing how Kristy 'witnessed' even from her deathbed.

Still praying for you and yours.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Cari Quinn said...

Milton and family,

Continuing to hold you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. Just by being yourselves, you serve as such an inspiration.

Carolynn

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Ha! Like Carrie, I also sent an email to Robin Lee Hatcher telling her to check out your blog post. I know she'll be honored to hear how her story had a role in Donna Jo's coming to the Lord.

When my dear friend was dying of cancer, the first day the hospice nurse came to take care of her she witnessed to her. I've often found myself comparing these two ladies: Kristy and my friend. Both beautiful Christian ladies and both have taught me how to die with dignity, never stopping doing for the Lord.

Praise God for Donna Jo's restoration with the Lord and how she came to church yesterday as a testament.

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Milton:

I'm so touched that God allowed one of my books to be used in such a way before Kristy's home-going. And since I believe that we will have work to do in heaven and will fully utilize the gifts and talents He gave us on earth, I have no doubt that Kristy is writing truly wonderful books in heaven even now.

And to each person who sent me an email to make sure I didn't miss this blog post, thank you for your thoughtfulness. I've been at a retreat and not reading blogs. I probably would have missed it in the flurry of work that follows being away from home.

Robin

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MILTON I READ IN THE CHURCH BULLETIN THAT KRISTY WANTED TO FINISH THE BOOK ABOUT HER MAMA GRACE.DID SHE?IF NOT WILL REBECCA .I KNEW GRACE AND GRANDMAMA CONNERS.MY GRANDMOTHER VERA HARRELL WAS BEST OF FRIENDS WITH GRANDMAMA CONNERS THEY BOTH ATTENDED ASS.OF GOD THEN PASTORED BY ZINC IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.I WAS ABOUT 10 WHEN ALL THIS TOOK PLACE.
I CONTNUE TO PRAY FOR ALL OF YOU AND EVERY LIFE THAT YOU TOUCH. LOVE AND PRAYERS AVEN TOUCHTON WARREN

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, You are in our prayers today. I can only imagine how difficult your days are. I am studying the book of Habakkuk where the "Why" is there but in the end, he finds strength in God. You have exemplified this. I know God will give you strength each day.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

That is such a wonderful story about the CNA renewing her life to Christ. I know she must have felt like an angel taking care of Kristy. I too have been touched by the beautiful spirit your family has had all through this journey. You have lifted up the Lord and shown us all how having real faith works. You guys have been such a blessing to me!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Dave Matheny said...

So sorry I was unable to attend Kristy's coronation service with Dave.

I've been following your blogs over the past few months and have been blessed.

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!

Pat Matheny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home