Saturday, July 26, 2008

TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON JESUS

Milton, here for Kristy:

My heart is full, yet broken. I am a blessed man. God has been so good to me--beyond words. I am finding daily that He doesn't fail even though we don't understand all that is happening around us. I am totally dependent on His mercy and grace. I stand only through His grace and strength.

I feel all the effects of all the prayers from around the world for me, my daughters, my grands, and my family. There are more people praying for me right now than have prayed for me my entire life. Prayer works! Your prayers are lifting me, steadying me, holding me up. I have met God and He is my helper.

Within my spirit there are songs that continually are playing. I can't and don't want to turn them off. The songs from Kristy's celebration service play over and over and are so comforting. There is a song of praise that is flowing out that is beyond my ability. It is a song of the Holy Spirit and it releases strength and health within my hurting mind and body.

I could write about going to Kristy's grave just hours after her funeral. I will at a later time. God met me there and I didn't face that alone.

I could write about the comments of my huring daughters and grands as they deal with the loss of their mother and Nana. I will at at later time. God has met them and they aren't facing her loss alone.

I could write about laying down to sleep where Kristy has slept. I will at a later time. God met me there and I am not facing that alone.

I could write about receiving letters addressed just to me that normally would be sent to Kristy and Milton Dykes. I will at a later time. God helped me deal with those moments and I am not facing that alone.

I could write about.......But God is there too. I am not facing any of this alone. God is with me.

***

My father, Rev. Oscar Milton Dykes, officiated at Kristy's graveside committal service. These are the words he shared.

He read I Corinthians 13:

1 Corinthians 13

The Greatest Gift

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.
4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.
9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.


Dad said, "Kristy Roberts Dykes was the human personification of love. She lived it, she shared it, she taught it, and she wrote about it. Now she is dwelling in its fullness."

Rev. Joe Peterson prayed to conclude the service

11 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Milton,,
Praise God for your testimony this morning. This morning I was just pondering about what you were feeling with an empty bedroon and house where your Beloved was. Yet, she is still there , everywhere, her touch, her smile , her presence. I am sure she is so proud of you and your daughters. I pray for traveling mercies today for all of them. Send them love and hugs. Your bloggers love you all,,Oh,, water Kristy's beautiful flowers on your porch :) its a woman thing
Mimi

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

I am looking forward to your posts on all the things you mentioned. Again, please thank the folks that filmed the service. It has meant so much to me to be able to feel as though I was there. You are truly blessed to have had such a special and loving wife. I will continue to pray for you and the girls during this time. You are helping me to see that His strength is sufficient.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Cara Putman said...

Your congregation is blessed to have a pastor who feel the emotions of life completely -- but is surrounded by God's hand through all of it. Praying you will always sense that God is there. In every raw emotion, lonely moment, and question. And that God will make Genesis 50:19 so very real as you walk through this valley. Praying.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

I just re-read Kristy's _The Tender Heart_. I understand it even better, now.

May God continue to be faithful in the lives and spirits of all who love and miss Kristy.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Milton, if only all churches were blessed to have a leader like you, there would be much more faith and a lot less discord in the church. You are an inspiration to all of us, just as Kristy was. I intend to be a long-time follower of this blog, it still continues to uplift me and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the hope you give all of us even during this sad time. You are the perfect example of a servant of God. Thank you.

Shell Washam

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Kate said...

One of my favorite names for our Lord is Emmanuel--God is With Us.

I am blessed to hear your testimony of all the ways our Beloved Lord has been, and continues to be, with you and your family.

Kate.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Just Me said...

What a beautiful and appropriate passage of Scripture. We are praying for you, Pastor Milton. I wish there were more we could do to help. But you're right - He is with you.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Amen and amen. Kristy was indeed love, the sunniest, most filled-with-joyful-love person I've ever known.

I'm so blessed to hear that God is meeting you at every turn. Let all that has breath praise His name.

We'll continue to pray for music to play on and that holy joy will fill the empty places.

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
I spoke with you on Thursday and told you about a website. I told you it was .com it is Motherlessdaughters.org

I am praying for you and Julie.

Samantha Kirby

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Sonya said...

I don't know your family, but I am terribly sorry for the loss of your wife. I do know from experience that during the darkest hours, He is the light.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

Praying in San Antonio for you and yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home