Friday, October 06, 2006

BETTY AND BOOP...TO SHOW OR NOT TO SHOW?

I've had some interesting comments on our subject, showing cleavage, this week. Thanks, all. I laughed the hardest at #4, below. She calls her…well…what we've been talking about this week…Betty and Boop. Hilarious!

Here are some of the comments:

1) I believe a Christian woman should not be a source of temptation. Tolive for the glory of Christ, we have to respect others as much as werespect ourselves. For me, not respecting others but forcing my body uponthem is a sign that I don't have self-respect either. There are just nogray areas. I'm not saying we should dress like nuns, but we have tohonor Christ in the way we dress. My husband adores my boobs and that's enough for me. It's his, and only his!

2) As a 27-year old woman, sometimes I am ashamed by the way women dress. I continue to pray for the men in our society who have to deal with the constant parade of flesh in the name of fashion.I am now considered one of the most fashionable people in my circle, but I also know that God is pleased with the way I dress.Showing all your "charms" has become commonplace, and sadly I see it in the church. As Christians, we must continue to pray that this practice will be removed from the church and removed from the hearts of Christians.

3) I feel like shouting "AMEN" to your blog today! Let's avoid the "butt in the blouse" and save that for our husbands!

4) I just saw yesterday's blog! "I'm Tired of Boobs…Seeing Them, That Is." I'm tired of them, too. I am 29. Some of the ladies in my singles group wear guestionable clothing, and it sours my stomach. I am glad the posts yesterday mentioned WHEN we should show Betty and Boop. (And since I am single, they don't get out much/ever.) I also love the movie quote. It really causes a person to pause and reflect on how much we leave to give our husbands.

5) I'll jump right in. How much cleavage should a Christian woman show? Very little if any. None would be appropriate. In public. At home, in her bedroom with her husband? Different answer.Let me say that I'm not of the mindset that we should throw ashes on our face and wear sackcloth. There are many stunning women in the body of Christ, and they shouldn't hide that. But neither should they flaunt body parts on display for all the world to see.There are so many choices in fashion today that we don't have to dress in tents with no shape or style. We do, however, have an obligation--in my opinion--to present ourselves in such a way that we don't invite untoward attention, generate unnecessary controversy, confuse our young people with contradictory messages, and most of all distract from the love of Christ that should get more attention from others than our boobs.I know I sound really old-fashioned--I'm only 43--but I really believe this. In some areas, old-fashioned is not bad. In others? I wear shorts, sleeveless blouses and dresses, and makeup. I'm sure others might argue as vehemently against these.In the end, we have to ask is it worth it? Is the action we choose so much of a distraction that our Christ-walk is tarnished in some way?

6) I get so annoyed at the styles of clothing nowadays that make it hard for me to find a blouse that DOESN'T show my cleavage! I have to rule out most articles of clothing because of the neckline. (I'm the opposite of flat-chested, okay?) But I wish everyone was as careful as I am.
However, AS CAREFUL AS I AM, I occasionally have an uh-oh moment--like when my 4-year-old pulls on my shirt, or I lean over to tie her shoe and then catch someone staring. So embarrassing! Frankly, I can't imagine WANTING to show cleavage or doing it ON PURPOSE. But I see it all the time.

7) This is not exactly about cleavage, but I believe married women should wear beautiful lingerie—undies and nightwear. Even unmarried women should. It makes one feel so feminine. I've always encouraged my daughter to wear pretty undies. Guess it hasn't hurt because she has a solid marriage and is pregnant with her second child. Even if husbands don't always "get it", maybe because they've always seen their wives in pretty underthings, most will notice a new thing. The comment may be a simple "Is that new?" But, at least he's noticed, and I think he knows you bought it to please him. But, if you really want to make your point, wear an old tattered T-shirt to bed some night. Hehe.

###

Anybody else care to comment or add anything?

4 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Great topic thanks for posting. I'll admit I've not thought much about cleveage or where my neckline is, as long as I'm covered. With two children pulling on me I've learned to wear a little higher neckline. But what about bathing suits? Any thoughts on that? Do they even make suits that don't show cleveage?

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thoughts, anyone? The swimsuit issue?

I will say I've seen Jennifer in a swimsuit. (She's my daughter.) She wears decent swimsuits, but they're stylish. They show her navel but aren't too low. Then, she sometimes wears a short skirt-type coverup over her swimsuit. I told her this summer when we were at a huge resort with several pools, and we were spending the day at the pool, and she was chasing her toddler, etc., that she was the sexiest woman there. Why? Because she wore that flirty little skirt. Here she was, covering up, and she was the most appealing. Other young women were showing nearly everything.

This reminded me of the famous stripper of yesteryear, Gypsy Rose Lee, I think, or maybe it was Mae West, who made a famous quote: Phooey. Now I can't remember the exact quote, but it was about NOT showing it ALL, but covering up made you MUCH more alluring.

Anybody know that quote?

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Had the swimsuit thing come up a couple of years ago when a church member had a birthday pool party. Said member wore a somewhat skimpy suit that a male member took issue with (partly because he was interested and didn't like the way other men looked at her).

Same rules apply. No need to display everything for all the world to see. But let's be pragmatic. Who goes swimming in long sleeves and pants or a long dress. Not me.

Swimsuits can be flattering without being too revealing. They come in such a variety of styles that most every woman can find a style that looks good on her and is still modest.

And ladies, as we age, keep in mind that we no longer have the bodies we had 10, 20, or 30+ years ago. Some styles are better left to the young (and wrinkle-free, sag-free, cellulite-free...you get the picture.)

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Amen, Patricia! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home