Tuesday, October 03, 2006

WHERE CAN WE DISPLAY OUR "CHARMS"?

Yesterday, I asked,"How much cleavage do you think a Christian woman should show?" You gave some interesting comments (click on "Comments" under yesterday's post).

There is a place to display our “charms” or whatever you want to call it. We can display our charms…

…for our own husbands in privacy.

A few years ago, I saw a Hallmark movie about a woman reporter who spent some time in an Amish household.

I loved the movie so much, my brother bought it for me for my birthday. Harvest of Fire, I think.

In the movie, the woman reporter came upon the young Amish wife as she brushed her long, shiny hair, then pinned it up and put on her stark white cap.

“Oh, your hair is so beautiful,” the reporter exclaimed. “It’s so thick and luxuriant. Why do you Amish women always cover your hair? Why don’t you wear it down?”

With eyes sparkling, the Amish woman said, “Oh, we do. But for our husbands alone. It’s something we take joy in--giving our husbands the pleasure of seeing what no other man can see.”

The reporter sat there, so touched and so deeply moved, she was unable to utter a word.

I’ve often reflected on that statement. “It’s something we take joy in,” the Amish woman said, “giving our husbands the pleasure of seeing what no other man can see.”

Unlike Amish women, we don’t hide our hair from other men’s eyes. But we should dress modestly and hide body parts that are meant to be covered and for our husband’s eyes only.

More to come…maybe even hearing from my husband Milton on this subject?

###

By commenting on my blog or emailing me (click on Email Kristy in the "Links" column to the right), you are eligible to win a Christian love story (novel). The next giveaway novel is Robin Lee Hatcher's newly-released A Carol for Christmas.

3 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Upon playing email catch up, I just saw the yesterday's blog! I'm tired of them too because like one of the other ladies that posted yesterday, I have plenty. I am 29. Some of the ladies in my Singles group wear guestionable clothing and it sours my stomach. I am glad the posts yesterday mentioned when we should show Betty and Boop. (And since I am single, never married, they don't get out much/ever). I also love the movie quote. It really causes a person to pause and reflect on how much we leave to give our husbands.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Would love to hear what your husband has to say!

I laughed at the comment about the kids tugging on the shirt, because my youngest (18 mths) does that all the time (it would be harder if I were taller).

Usually when and where I'm least expecting it (although I'm catching on), like on the front pew of church when there's a guest speaker, when I'm at a parent-teacher conference, in the grocery aisle... You get the picture.

I'm thankful that if he follows the path of his two older brothers, he'll outgrow this habit.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Lara and Patricia, for your comments. I laughed at both! You said some really good things.

Your comment, Patricia, about your kid tugging on your shirt reminds me of this: a friend of my sister-in-law's had breast fed her kid until he was two. (I know. That's a long time. But this was a long time ago.) She was trying to wean him. He begged and begged. She kept saying no. Finally, he sobbed, "Mommy, just 'et me 'ook at it!"

So we sometimes use that line for a laugh.

Thanks again for your comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home