Thursday, December 14, 2006

"I WISH I HADN'T SEEN THEM, PAULA WHITE'S BOOBS, THAT IS" BY MILTON DYKES

Some grocery stores cover them up so their customers don’t have to look at them. Checking out at the grocery counter can be a tour of temptation with all those magazines using boobs to catch your eye, but many grocery stores now have covers over the most provocative pictures.

Yet, there I was watching clean, good, inspirational television…

…and there they were again.

Boobs.

I couldn’t hear the Gospel for the unwanted view. I knew I had to turn my head at the grocery store, but now on Christian television too? Why was TV evangelist Paula White doing this?

I don’t have a complaint with the ministry or message of Paula White. From what I have heard, God has raised her up out of a terrible background and has done some powerful things through her life. I like her stylish, contemporary efforts to present the love and power of Christ. I applaud anyone who stands as a voice of hope in a hurting world. All of that is commendable.

I even feel bad writing this one concern and complaint with her ministry. It just disappointed and discouraged me that I had to see her boobs to hear her message.

All of us have a responsibility to present the Gospel in a current yet caring way. I applaud all stripes and brands of Christianity and don’t want to nitpick over doctrinal issues. There is too much need, and there are too many hurting people. Time is short, and there are so many who need to hear the message.

Paula, keep up the good work. Share the Gospel. Preach the Word. Keep reaching for the stars. Most of all, don’t quit.

And just don’t show me your boobs anymore.

P.S. Paula White, do you want your husband Randy looking at other women's boobs?

###

Kristy, here: I appreciate my husband Milton for posting on this subject. When we saw the spectacle (Paula White preaching in a low-cut top, her breasts bulging), Milton voiced these sentiments, above. I asked him if he'd post them on my blog.

So he wrote out the post, above, and emailed it to me. When I opened the email, he also sent me a private, titillating message.

Should I? Shouldn't I? Put it on my blog for "all the world to see?" :)

Okay.

I'll include a portion, but only a portion. It's clean, and it's sooo apropros to the subject we're discussing.

Okay.

Here goes.

Dear Kristy, I like the way you show them (your breasts) to me and me alone. Love, Milton

9 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

I'm forwarding this post to my hubby. I forwarded Kristy's the other day. When I got home, we talked about it. He shook his head and walked away. That's his way of saying he agreed with the post, not the display of Paula White's boobs. I do too.

Over the years, I've struggled with some of the clothing restrictions and other doctrinal issues in the church. I remember when my husband and I were engaged and I visited his church (after attending my own that Sunday morning). The "church mother" felt the need to place a gigantic handkerchief over my short (but not too short) pleated skirt and wipe the lipstick off my mouth. All while she praised God. And with a smile.

I was too shocked to be offended. I grew up a good Episcopalian-turned Presbyterian-turned Baptist girl. I knew to dress in a modest manner. But this Pentecostal church took modest to a whole other level. In their own way the women dressed up each Sunday as though they were attending the Academy Awards but at the same time, they covered up more than mummies. (If you've never seen this, it might not make sense but those who have, know what I'm talking about.)

Almost twenty years later, these same women, who then wouldn't have been caught dead with anything but pale, neutral shades of nail polish, the slightest hint of makeup, or anything resembling trendy clothing, have become fashion plates. And the envelope keeps pushing. I suspect this is what has happened with Ms. White.

I surmise that for many years she probably couldn't and wouldn't have dared. As things get less strict, the boundaries get pushed. Too bad she didn't realize (or care) that she might be crossing the line that should never be crossed, i.e. presenting oneself in a manner that distracts from the Gospel. How sad.

Let's hope she reads these posts or somehow gets the feedback that let's her know we don't want to restrict her right to be and look beautiful. In fact, we applaud her not going around in sackcloth and ashes. Women of the Gospel are beautiful and sexy and should feel comfortable and confident being such. However, there's a time and place for everything. Wrong time, wrong place.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I was given a lovely dress - purple, my favorite color. Only problem, the neckline is cut a bit too low. It's fine when I stand up straight, but should I bend over ... well, you get the picture. And so would everyone else. So I don't wear it. It hangs in my closet and I look at it. I'm on the lookout for a pretty scarf to sew into the neckline. Sigh.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks for the great comments. Patricia, I know exactly what you're talking about, re: all your comments. I'm with you.

Ane, I applaud you for upholding modesty. Yeah! Yes, find a pretty scarf and tuck it into the neckline. It'll be a fashion statement.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

Great post, Milton. Thank you. We need men speaking out.

Rachel

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daugters first experience with Church was at the age of 14. This was when skorts (shorts made to look like skirts) were in fashion. I was so pleased that they were going to church. One Wednesday night they over heard some of the Women in Church critizing them (in a very hateful way). They decided that they did not want to go back to Church any more. Please ladies, give guidence to these young woman instead of looking down on them. And when you are talking about someone, pretend that they can hear you (sometimes they do). Something like this can turn a "child" completely away from Christ.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Anonymous, you are very wise! Let's all try to heed what she's saying, spiritual ladies, (and men), okay?

Thanks for commenting!

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Donna J. Shepherd said...

It's nice to hear the viewpoint of a man with integrity. I thought you were going to refer to a show on health and working out. I heard an earful from my mother-in-law about that one because she was so offended. This goes to show that we must be women who are ever aware of how we present ourselves as Christians and godly women.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Donna, for your comments. Yes, we need to be very aware as women.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

paula's boobs need to be covered. When I watch her I get a bulge, just being hones

 

Post a Comment

<< Home