Thursday, February 01, 2007

LET ME COUNT THE WAYS I LOVE YOU


How Do I Love Thee?


How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints!---I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!---and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
---Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Since today is the first day of February, and since I saw the most gorgeous full moon last night on my way to and from church, it's put me in the mood for some Elizabeth Barrett Browning poetry, "How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count the Ways."

My challenge: think of all the ways you love your spouse (or reasons why).

3 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How Do I Love Thee? Let me count the ways...

With Joy and Thanksgiving,
Through Good times and Bad times,
By His love and His strength,
For all time and eternity
During laughter and light moments,
Including dreams, desire, and destiny
As best friend and life partner,
Forever my sweetheart.

These are a few ways I love thee.

Milton

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I want to add a P.S. here, Kristy.

Even if you're struggling with lovin your husband (and all marriages go through dry spells) dwell on his good points.

When I was struggling many years ago, God showed me that you can't get bitter and sweet water from the same well. I began to think on the reasons I fell in love with my husband, and fell in love all over again.

We've been married for 36 years - hard to understand since I'm only 39 ;)

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I want to add a P.S. here, Kristy.

Even if you're struggling with lovin your husband (and all marriages go through dry spells) dwell on his good points.

When I was struggling many years ago, God showed me that you can't get bitter and sweet water from the same well. I began to think on the reasons I fell in love with my husband, and fell in love all over again.

We've been married for 36 years - hard to understand since I'm only 39 ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home