Thursday, February 22, 2007

LIFE AND DEATH


Yesterday, I ate lunch with my Aunt Jo, pictured at left with me. Joining us were 21 other church women (plus Milton) at the beautiful new community she's just moved into. She moved from a lovely home into a two-bedroom, two-bath apartment overlooking a lake in a seniors' community.
I organized the luncheon and open house so her church lady friends could celebrate her and her new home. We laughed, and we ate, and we chatted in the luxuriously-appointed private dining room with its crystal chandeliers and swagged windows, and then we rode elevators up to her third-floor apartment, and everybody got to see her place. Her daughters decorated it like a show home in the latest decorator colors. With her elegant furnishings, it's pure eye candy.
Milton led us in a prayer of dedication, and it was a touching moment.
Later, everybody hugged goodbye, saying what a great time they'd had.
Not long after Milton and I arrived home, we received a phone call that a dear minister friend had just died. We rushed down to the hospital, and moments later, we were standing by his bed, hugging his widow and daughter-in-law. He was cold in death, and we were all bawling our eyes out. We stayed there for quite some time, and he looked so natural, as if he were sleeping, that I thought, Surely, he's going to open his eyes and say hello to us.
But he didn't.
Come Saturday, he'll be lying in a casket in front of a churchfull of mourners.
Life and thrills and excitement at noon.
Death and crying and mourning at three.
Sure sobers you.
Last night, I gathered Milton in my arms and said, "I'm so glad I have you. I love you with all my heart. I want you to be around a long, long time." I just held him, overcome with emotion and with gratefulness.
Have you told your spouse you love him/her in the last day or so?

5 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Okay. This non-doublespacing thing is getting to me. I like doublespacing between paragraphs. Arrgghhh!

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless your aunt and bless you! Thanks for updating your blog daily. You bring delight to the blogging world.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thank you for your kind remarks. I appreciate them.

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a touching story, Kristy.
Since I nearly lost my husband to an emotional affair, I tell him how much I love and appreciate him all the time now. After all, if I don't, some other woman just might.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

That's a good thing to do, Anonymous. We have to keep the sparks burning in our marriages. I call it "Revisit the Sizzle."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home