Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A LOVE LETTER

According to wikipedia.org, Valentine's Day is the traditional day on which lovers express their love for each other by giving candy, flowers, jewelry, etc. The day is most closely associated with the mutual exchange of love notes in the form of "valentines."

Of all the gifts from my husband, the ones I treasure the most are his love letters--written tributes--to me. I've framed one and have it on display where I can see it every day. It gives me a thrill every time I read it. It says:

Kristy,
You are indeed a very special person. Smart, talented, creative, industrious, pure, beautiful, faithful, generous, kind are only a few words that describe you. I am very fortunate to have you as my wife, friend, helper, and lover. I do love you now more than ever.
Milton

When we were engaged, we were separated for three months and wrote almost-daily letters to each other. After we married, I decoupaged excerpts of those letters on top of my antique cedar chest. I kept the chest in a guest bedroom, and we got lots of ribbing from guests!

I, in turn, have written tributes and love letter to him through the years.Here's a brand new love letter to my sweetie, fresh from my heart on this, Valentine's Day:

Dear Milton,
As a teenager, I prayed earnestly that God would send His choice of a mate into my life. When you came along, I knew you were the one for me. God put a love so vibrant in my heart for you, a desire so strong to be your helpmate, that this love and desire continue to this day and not only that, grow by leaps and bounds with each passing year. Milton, you are my tower of strength. You are my guiding light. You are the lover of my soul. I know. As Christians, we say the same things about the Lord. But I don't think Jesus minds if I say those things about you, for the Bible tells us the marriage relationship is a replica of the relationship between Christ and His bride, the Church. And the Bible tells us God wants husbands and wives to love each other with His kind of love. Thank you for all you do to make our marriage strong. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for taking care of me. I know that's an old-fashioned term, but that's how I feel. With all my heart, soul, mind, and body, I love you now and forever. Kristy

###

Anybody else want to write a love letter or a tribute to your spouse?

2 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a beautiful note. It means so much to read such loving words of respect from you.

Your are my valentine--today and forever.

Love, Milton

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

I love you, Milton. Thank you for the sweet comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home