Thursday, March 15, 2007

WE'VE COME TOO FAR TOGETHER


Yesterday, the title of my post, below, was "Time Passes Quickly, and the Sun Heals the Damage." It's about the cold damage my tropical plants--banana trees and three-headed pygmy palms--recently sustained, and the fact that soon, they'll be pretty and green thanks to a healthy dose of Florida sun. I related this to the damage that's sometimes done in marriage and the blessing that can come as the Son brings healing.
One of my commenters blessed me. I even used one of her lines as the title of my post today. Here are her comments:
Those first "hits" (not physical ones) take a lot out of you, because you're not expecting them. And because they hurt. But over time, it's not as bad, hopefully, not because you've gotten used to the pain, but because the "hits" are fewer and farther between and because they fall on a mature, softened heart.
I just had a minor disagreement with my husband just minutes ago. In years past, the same disagreement would have escalated into a full-blown war--when we were quick with our tongues and slow with our hearts. In a nutshell, I made a mistake with huge potential consequences for his business. I felt as though he was beating me up when he reminded me of the consequences and chastised me--just a wee bit-- for making the mistake.
But it's okay. Because he called back after a few minutes--we've learned that a "cooling off," however brief, helps loads--and he reminded me that we've come too far together for either of us to be overly sensitive and get bent out of shape, and that we'll trust God together that my mistake will return void.
The Spirit had already reminded me that my husband was letting off a little steam out of frustration and that I had probably been a little too touchy about his remarks because I heard the words but forgot to look at his heart. It was nice, and a sign of how far we've both grown, to have him call back to smooth my ruffled feathers.
He had to run into a meeting, but I'll be sure to tell him how much I appreciated that second call when he gets home this evening.
Marriage, the institution, can sustain much damage if we allow God to help us weather the elements. Thanks for letting me get that out. Just so happened that I read your blog immediately following the episode.
###
Man, that's some good counsel! My prayer is that we will all follow in her footsteps when the next disagreement comes up in our marriages. Notice I said the next disagreement. Isn't that the way it is in marriage? WINK

4 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Something God taught me many years ago in my marriage: "Do not react to harsh words by your spouse as the world says to react. React the way I tell you to."

Jesus gave us a great example and He continues to whisper instructions in my ear. If my heart and ears are in tune to Him, I hear harsh words through a Heavenly Filter, rendering them harmless.

Good post, Kristy!

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Man, that was good, Ane. Would that we could all learn that: to "hear harsh words through a Heavenly Filter, rendering them harmless.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Wow Kristy! I sure didn't expect to see a post based on my words. Thanks for all the encouragement you give to married couples and for letting me share.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Patricia, for commenting. Your testimony blessed many. God bless--

 

Post a Comment

<< Home