Thursday, July 12, 2007

WRITING AND THE MINISTER'S LIFE

Tuesday afternoon we drove to Gainesville, Florida, to be with Milton's sister as she took some treatments at Shands Hospital. We spent the night with minister friends, and the six of us, Milton, me, Milton's sister and husband, and our/their friends, had a great time "talking shop" over a delicious home-cooked roast dinner in their beautiful home. As ministers, we lead interesting, varied lives with hearts to reach out and help people. But it's also an isolating life away from our peers, so when we get a chance to be together, we love it. Of course, in our families (mine and Milton's), we have almost 30 ministers and wives (yes, you read that right; no typos), so we have built-in friends to share with. What a privilege. How unique.

My other life, is, of course, writing. But my kaleidoscopic life as a minister's wife is a huge boon to my writing life. It lets me get close to people and feel their hurts as I pray for them and lift them up, and so it's given me empathy, what all writers strive for in their writing. For example, last night after church (Wed. prayer and Bible study), a bunch of the church people went to Denny's for fellowship. One woman was burdened by a family situation; it's pretty dire with seemingly no solution. We all offered advice and encouragement. Then I said, "Why don't we pray right now?" So, around a long, long table at Denny's, a large group of people paused in their eating, joined hands, and I led--out loud--in prayer. We didn't care who heard (of course I did it tastefully and not ostentatiously), and you know what? The Lord answered. A peace pervaded the place when we all opened our eyes.

Good things are happening in my writing. I am writing a story of grace that takes my breath away and brings tears to my eyes as I write. Whew!

2 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

One of the things I adore about your blog is that it speaks to my ministry life as well as my writing life. Both can be solitary in some ways but I find both also rewarding.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Patricia. I feel so blessed for God to have hand picked ME, little ol' ME, to minister, and to write! Yay, God!

An old saying goes, "Never stoop to be a king if God has called you to be a minister." Whew. A deep statement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home