Saturday, August 18, 2007

IS YOUR WIFE YOUR GIRLFRIEND?

Above is my nephew, Bryan McGee, and his beautiful wife Jennifer. They are on staff at The Rock



When I read the following post on his website, I knew I wanted it to appear on my blog. He granted permission.

Man, is it nice to have lots of writers in the family. And preachers. Nearly 30 ministers and wives.


Enjoy!



Your Wife Is Your Girlfriend
By Bryan McGee

Have you ever noticed that marriage has a way of destroying romance? Over the years, I have done a lot of marriage counseling. One of the things I have noticed is that romance is nowhere to be found.

Romance: (rō-măns‘, rō‘măns) n.1. A love affair. 2. Ardent emotional attachment or involvement between people; love.

Sure, there are major issues to deal with in any marriage counseling session. But, without fail, I have yet to counsel a couple who were having issues where romance was still alive. They come to discuss issues with their sex life (or lack thereof), their finances, their lack of communication, or the fact that “it’s just not working out.” They come because the details of life have won out against what first drew them together.


I’ve heard pastors say that it is even harder on those in the ministry. I’m not necessarily convinced this is true. I believe Satan hates all of our marriages because they are a picture of Christ and His church. Sure, I have a lot of pressure from ministry. The long hours, stress, and demands can be overwhelming. But the truth is, your job is pretty demanding too. It is all too easy to let everyone else dictate your life. A few months ago, Jim Wideman wrote, "Since 'my time' was really 'my time,' I needed to take ownership of it and spend it like I was in control. It’s up to you to let others know how to treat your time. If you don’t value and respect it, others won’t either.”

Don’t let life rob you of the joy of romancing your spouse. What wooed him or her to the altar will probably keep your marriage strong. Unless, of course, you were immoral in your relationship. If that is the case, find out how to be romantic. The Bible is filled with illustrations of how to be crazy passionate in your marriage. Start by reading Song of Solomon. If that book were made into a movie, I would not be able to watch it. It’s that graphic.

Last night, Jen and I went on a hot date. She wore a beautiful, little black dress that had me staring all night. She is what I dream about at night. We drove a friend's BMW 750Li to our favorite restaurant in Wilmington, Deluxe. We had a very expensive meal that was worth every penny. Especially since someone had blessed us with a gift certificate. Then we drove around Wrightsville Beach listening to Miles Davis and Chet Baker and just enjoyed each being with each other.

This was our second date of the week. On Tuesday, a friend offered to watch the boys so we could go out. We grabbed a quick burger at Five Guys and then caught Bourne Ultimatum (great movie).

Two dates in one week! This doesn’t happen every week. We work way too much. We just started football practice everyday with twof of our sons Noah and Adam. We have a lot going on. But, at the end of the day, I want my wife to still be my girlfriend. I want her to always know that I love her the way Paul instructed in Ephesians 5:25-28,

"Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church—a love marked by giving, not getting. Christ’s love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness. And that is how husbands ought to love their wives. They’re really doing themselves a favor—since they’re already 'one' in marriage."

Is your spouse still your boyfriend/girlfriend? Mine is. How are you keeping romance alive at your house?

4 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger bryan mcgee said...

Thanks for the post. If I had to pick which area of my life that I most wanted people to emulate, I would have to choose the way I love my wife.

If guys could ever get a clear understanding of what would happen if they loved their wives like Christ loves the church, I would never have to provide marriage counseling again. I would write more, but I have to go tell my wife how much I love her.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks for letting me use your post. I know it blessed my readers. Milton just read it and called and said, "I just called to say, 'I love you.'" How sweet from my sweetie!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Maggie Brendan said...

I wish more men would understand that romance will take them a long way in their relationship if they'd give it more priority. Great post!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks for your comment, Brenda. You speak a truth!! If only more men knew that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home