Saturday, July 21, 2007

"WRITERLY" THINGS

In blogdom, there's a tag thing going on. Dr. Richard Mabry tagged me to answer the following seven questions. Thanks, Dr. Richard, for the tag. BTW, have you noticed how many of the same blogs you and I read? Both of our comments appear regularly on some of my favorites! (For my readers, they're mainly blogs about writerly things; I know that's not a word, writerly, but I coined it and use it regularly in the column I write for the ezine of FHL, the inspirational chapter of Romance Writers of America.)

1. What's the one book or writing project you haven't yet written but still hope to?
I'm in the process of writing a novel about grace, and it takes my breath away as I write. I hope and pray the Lord allows it to be published. It's one of those books about which authors say, "God gave it to me." Well, to be honest, I feel that way but won't say it, because I don't want to sound naive or braggadocious. You can go both spectrums with that statement, professional authors know. But I will say I feel an anointing as I write.

2. If you had one entire day in which to do nothing but read, what book would you start with? The Bible's a given, so I'll say what I'm into right now. I'm reading Anne of Green Gables; pulled it off my bookshelf last Sunday evening after my husband and I watched four segments on PBS (for the umpteenth time; love them!). Wonderful novel. I'm also re-reading some fiction craft books (I'll try to improve my craft until my toes turn up!). One is Donald Maas's Writing the Breakout Novel.

3. What was your first writing "instrument" (besides pen and paper)? An electric typewriter and after that, an Apple IIc.

4. What's your best guess as to how many books you read in a month? The stack is high beside my bed, and once I read them or throw them against the wall (just kidding; a writer's frustrated moment), I change them out from books in my study. The number? A good 15-20 I go through.

5. What's your favorite writing "machine" you've ever owned? My PC. I'm low tech but it works.

6. Think historical fiction: what's your favorite time period in which to read? I love the early 1900s era (think Christy and Anne of Green Gables) and I like the 1800s (think Jane Eyre and Victoria Holt's novels). This is an off-the-top-of-my-head answer; I love historicals from all eras.

7. What's the one book you remember most clearly from your youth (childhood or teens)? There are too many to list. But I'll try to narrow them down. Pippi Longstockings. Nina Grant nurse books. Jane Eyre. Christy. Hidden Pearls (teaches purity to young girls). Sorry. You said one. Oh, and the Bible. My mother had me memorizing it when I was two years old. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son..."

Thanks again, Dr. Richard!

2 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

Kristy,
Thanks for playing. By the way, just so I don't get all the blame for this particular "meme" (see my own blog for the definition--I had to look it up), it began with BJ Hoff. Not content with the usual "seven things about yourself," (which I'd already posted some time ago), she asked these specific questions.
Now, are you going to tag seven other unfortunate souls?

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Like I said, you and I read many of the same blogs, so the ones you tagged I'd tag. But I'll try to come up with some other ones!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home