Friday, September 08, 2006

TILL DEATH?

Last night I watched the new 8 o'clock sitcom called Till Death?, starring the big guy on Everybody Loves Raymond. I'd read an article about the show in the newspaper, and the premise caught my attention: newlywed couple moves next door to oldywed couple. I thought, how cute.

Not.

At least all the arguing wasn't cute. Maybe that's why I didn't laugh very much. Or maybe the lines weren't that funny. Or maybe it was just me. I said to Milton, "I'm glad it's canned applause and not a live audience." Canned applause covers you, I'd think.

The title of the sitcom caught my attention too: Till Death?

That's what we've been talking about the last two days.

There've been some interesting comments on my blog regarding our subject. I've seen, or felt the spirit of, these words: faithfulness, commitment, compassion, non-judgmentalism, and more.

As I read the comments, I recalled an article I'd read and put in my illustrations file a long time ago. I dug it out; it's called "The Missing Ingredient" and deals with a word we sometimes shy away from.

Duty.

The writer uses the word in relation to the Christian—going to church, doing the right thing, praying when we don't feel like it, etc.

The writer quotes this verse: "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." Ecclesiastes 12:13.

The writer talks about the fact that sometimes it's not fun to do the things we know we should do. He uses the words faithful, steadfast, unmovable, enduring, persevering.

"Inspiration is the poorest octane you can run your life on," he writes. "The motor will sputter and stop before too long. Our fuel is a mixture of love and duty."

I suppose parts of his article could apply to marriage. In fact, his illustration is about a young couple. At age 27, an Indiana state patrolman was pursuing a speeding car. Suddenly, he lost control and was involved in a horrible accident that left him comatose.

"His wife, who loved him more than words could express, stayed by his bed and waited for him to regain consciousness," the writer states. "She waited. And waited. She waited, in fact, eight years and five months. Day after day, always at his bedside. Leaving only to care for her own absolute necessities, then going back to the job of vigilance for her husband. Eight years and 5 months."

"Duty and love demanded it," the writer concluded.

As some of you have said, it would be a hard situation to face if your spouse became debilitated.

Would you stay true to your spouse if s/he became debilitated?

This discussion was sparked when I thought of Deborah Raney's newly-released Christian love story (novel) A Vow to Cherish by Steeple Hill Books, which I'm giving away this week. Worldwide Pictures made a movie from her novel. A Vow to Cherish is about a man with a beautiful wife and family. Then his wife gets early-onset Alzheimer's, quickly goes into demise, and ends up in a nursing home. While jogging, he meets a lovely woman, and a friendship strikes up. Eventually he's faced with a big decision--should he or shouldn't he...you know...share his love with this woman, especially since his poor wife is the way she is. I won't spoil it for you, in case you haven't read it.

Just comment on my blog, and your name will go into a hat for a drawing. I'll let the winner know on Monday.

Hmm.

Love and duty.

Till death?

Oh, Lord, help me to be pleasing in Your sight, in all things.

3 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Unfortunately, it's even in the church. I hear some of the younger women bad-mouthing their husbands. And not the fun "men are from Mars" type joking. This was serious bad-mouthing. It's time the older women take more of a Titus Woman approach.

You won't always be in love. You "fall" in and out. But the commitment to your vows is what brings you back to love - that and prayer. It amazes me how God can make me fall in love all over again with my husband. We'll celebrate our 36th anniversary this December.

I can't tell you how many times God has made me fall in love again, but it's so worth it! He (hubby) gets sweeter and sweeter as the years go by.

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo, that's a good point and very sad! That's why I don't like sitcoms. For the most part it portrays men as stupid and women as hating and/or controlling them. As they say, garbage in, garbage out. I want to be the wife God wants me to be - submission, respect, beauty from a gentle and quiet spirit, etc - and if I model after what I see on TV and in movies - I won't be that woman. Of course, I'm always learning and growing and I've got a long way to go so don't think I'm saying I've arrived!! I definitely haven't, which is an even bigger reason not to let bad examples in. That's too bad about that sitcom you referenced. I thought it was a cute idea too but it really doesn't even surprise me that it ended up being a disappointment. :(

Thank you for your thoughts on this subject this week. It makes me want to go hug my husband and tell him how much I love, respect, and appreciate him.

God bless!

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks for your comments, Ane and Dana. Appreciate them. May God bless you both.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home