Monday, October 09, 2006

BOOK OF THE YEAR CONTEST



Two weeks ago, I learned that I'd won Third Place in a national contest, the 2006 Book of the Year Contest, novella category, awarded by American Christian Fiction Writers. I was, as you can imagine, thrilled!

The award is for my novella, "Reunited," in Wedded Bliss? The four coauthors are: Susan K. Downs, Kristy Dykes, Sally Laity, and Carrie Turansky. Kudos to my coauthors for a fabulous job. All of the novellas are delightful. Wedded Bliss? can be purchased at christianbook.com or amazon.com.

The blurb of "Reunited" in the front of Wedded Bliss? reads: After 24 years of marriage, Felicia Higgins asks her husband Jake to move out to give her time to think about their future. Afer all, he doesn't have a clue about bringing happiness to her romantic soul. At first, Jake is incensed. Why can't Felicia be happy? He's a good Christian man. What more could she want or need? Both discover some surprising things about each other--and marriage--in their journey to a second chance at love."

All of my fiction is based on scripture, and this one is, "Let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us...Don't become weary and give up" (Hebrews 12:1,3, New Living Translation).

I've had some wonderful letters from readers. Here's one:

"Your story, 'Reunited,' in Wedded Bliss? is absolutely beautiful! I love your use of Hebrews 12:1,3: run the race, and don't give up—a wonderfully clear message that people can apply to many areas of life. Many will linger over these words for their marriages, as well as other issues in their lives. 'Reunited' is a true-to-life story and shows how couples can drift apart if they do not keep their eyes on Jesus. I like the way Felicia and Jake finally realized they needed help and weren't ashamed to seek it, and how they both realized the mistakes they made and were willing and anxious to amend those actions. Congratulations on this great story!"

One of the contest judges wrote on the judging sheet: "This novella wove the faith into the fabric of the story in a wonderfully real way. It never felt preacher, yet was real. I almost started taking notes on things I can do in my marriage. Very well done!"

I'm honored to have placed in this contest.

Thank You, Lord, for Your blessings on me.

5 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

I had the pleasure of reading these novellas earlier this year. I enjoyed them all and I did learn some things that I could do differently in my marriage.

Congratulations on your recognition!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Patricia. I really believe in the ministry value of Christian fiction. Of course, good fiction is entertaining, first and foremost, and then it can minister, which I strive for in my fiction. Charles Colson said, "Stories change us because as we read, we identify with characters who demonstrate courage and self-sacrifice, and in the process our character is shaped."

God bless--

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Mom, I am SO proud of you! You are an amazing writer. wedded bliss? is one of my favorite all time books. It's one of those books that can be read over and over. In fact I think I need to go read it again right about now.

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats to a great writer! rose

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Rose!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home