Friday, October 13, 2006

GRANDBOYS AND GOLIATHS

These are the grandboys to whom I told the story of David and Goliath, using the car ceiling as my flannel board. Alexander, 7, is on the left, and Nicholas, 4 is looking over his shoulder. They're playing with an electronic toy. Aren't they just the grandest?

We're going to see them this afternoon, so we can watch them play in their peewee soccer games tomorrow morning. Yippee! You should see them running across the field. They are like streaks of lightning.

Then, it'll be a quick trip back home (3 1/2 hours) so we can attend a youth concert our youth group is hosting at our church Saturday night. I need to remember to bring ear plugs! We went in Refuge Hall today, and...there are no chairs! Our youth leader said that's how youth concerts are. They stand or dance. Should be interesting!

Another song I like to sing with our grandboys is Only A Boy Named David, Only A Little Sling (besides We're Going to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo, How About You, You, You?). I blogged about David and Goliath on Wednesday and how we need to fight the Goliaths in our lives, the obstacles facing us, so we can triumph over them.

I have a Goliath in my life right now. I'm wondering how something's going to be accomplished that desperately needs accomplishing. I know the Lord is able. I'm confident of that. I have child-like faith. But there are so many factors, so many variables, and they make me quiver.

You know what? I'm just going to give it to the Lord. My study Bible says David tiumphed over Goliath because:

1) He had a heart for God. Check. So do I.

2) He had a zealous concern for the reputation of the Lord. He recognized that Goliath wasn't just defying the Israelite army; he was defying the Lord Almighty. Check. So do I, although I was just reminded that this "thing" isn't just coming against God's people, but God himself! Therefore, I'm on the warpath even more so.

3) He remembered previous victories which strengthened him. Check. I'm doing that right now.

4) He trusted not in himself but in God. Check. Me too.

5) The Spirit of the Lord came upon him in P - O - W - E - R! Check. I'm feeling doodads dancing up my spine!

Give me a P!

Give me an O!

Give me a W!

Give me an E!

Give me an R!

What do we have?

Power! Power! Power!

There is power, power, wonder-working power,
In the blood,
Of the Lamb.
There is power, power, wonder-working power,
In the precious blood of the Lamb!

Remember this version?

There is power, power, power, power, wonder-working power, (double "powers")
In the blood,
Of the Lamb.
There is power, power, power, power, wonder-working power,
In the precious blood of the Lamb!

The study notes in my Bible continue with, "Whenever God's children face seemingly insurmountable problems and situations, those giants can be overcome if we exercise faith like David and depend on the power of the Holy Spirit (see Ephesians 3:20 and Philippians 4:13)."

Amen and amen!

I believe it.

And that settles it!

###

A new movie is hitting theaters today. It's called One Night with the King and is based on a novel by evangelist Tommy Tenney and author Mark Andrew Olsen. We rarely go to movies, but we're hoping to go see this one. It's the story of Queen Esther of the Old Testament. You can find out more about it at this site, www.x8.com. I think you have to choose a password, but don't worry if you choose to do so. I did, and it's okay.

I was watching Christian TV last night, and Joyce Meyer had just come out of the premier of One Night with the King, and she was asked what was the takeaway for her. "It's the story of a person who faced an insurmountable problem, and it looked hopeless, but she overcame it with the help of the Lord."

Bingo!

3 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

What a great post! Such an encouragement. I'll be in prayer with you.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Donald Lawrence and the Tri-City Singers, one of America's hottest gospel artists, have a song on their latest release called "Giants".

"Giants do die. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
Giants, they die. Just walk around your Jericho wall."

It goes on to say, "When you pray/praise/shout, they gotta come down."

Upbeat and funky. Makes you want to dance. You'll be praying, praising, and shouting down those giants in no time.

I'm dancing with you. Give me a "P"...

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Yes, Patricia. P for power. Oooh, I love that line: The bigger they are, they harder they fall!

Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home