Wednesday, January 17, 2007

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS?

What in the world is this, you are probably asking?

Last night, we went to the Annual Bean Auction, a senior citizens' event at our church (my husband is a pastor). You eat bean soup and bid on items with beans that are provided, well at least the first 100.

Each bean represents one cent, so 100 beans represent one dollar. After that, you can buy them for one cent each.

Some of the items are a hoot. Others are pretty, useful, unique, clamored for, and useless! All are white elephants, things around the house nobody wants anymore. Last night I saw a set of silver-rimmed china with a lacy edge, a pitcher and bowl, a Noritake covered dish, a purse, wallets, a Dresden plate, pillow stuffing, dust collectors such as small figurines, even a new container of antifreeze.

They have a pro auctioneer, and it's lots of fun. And the food is yummy. Church women are some of the best cooks in the world.

Milton likes to use up his beans at the Annual Bean Auction, so he bought me a set of footed glass dessert dishes. I have an identical set. Oh well. The idea is to have fun. They even have paddles you bid with.

So, what is that thing in the picture?

I'm glad you asked.

It's a.....tah dah...headscratcher!



The handle has the name of it: Happy's Head Trip. What a trip! The man who donated it told me the knob on the end is a back massager.

Man, I'm all set.

(P.S. I got this thing at last year's Annual Bean Auction. I almost donated it last night to be auctioned again, but I decided to keep it. It's too funny.)

###
How can I relate this to marriage or writing fiction?

Hmmm.

I can't.

So it's just a tidbit from my life.

5 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

Have you considered marketing the gadget for all of us who scratch our heads and wonder how we're going to get out of the corner we've written our protagonist into?

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Rachel Hauck said...

LOL. I've seen one of those before. Aren't they cool?

I could use one right now.

Rachel

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Haha, Dr. Richard! That gives me a brilliant idea. Go get my headscratcher out of the garage closet and use it right now on MY head. I, too, am writing my protag into a corner, or trying to! That all-important conflict is what keeps the readers turning pages, remember!

Rachel, glad you've seen one before. It looks a giant spider to me.

I'll loan it to either of you anytime. :)

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

How about this?

Occasionally something your spouse does will cause you to scratch your head (enter, headscratcher) and wonder, "What was he/she thinking?"

The best thing to do at that time is to find the humor in the situation if possible, or simply laugh with enjoyment over how differently yet wonderfully God made each of you. Then, turn your headscratcher around and offer your spouse a back massage!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Oh, I like your idea, Patricia. I'll go find Milton now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home