Thursday, April 05, 2007

ARE YOU A FLIRT?


On Wednesday nights after church, we go out for coffee with some couples. Okay, add to the coffee an omelette or pancakes.
Last night, we were through eating and sitting there chatting. After awhile, I take a drink of water and look for my napkin to dot my mouth. My napkin is gone. Not on the table. Not in my lap. Not underneath the table. It's just gone.
"Did you see my napkin?" I ask Milton.
He shrugs and continues talking with a man nearby.
We keep chatting, and I say something to someone down near the end of the table. When I look back at my plate, there's my napkin!
"You took my napkin."
A twinkle the size of a full moon lights his eyes. "What do you mean? I don't know what you're talking about."
We banter back and forth, and there's this little gleam in his eyes, and I can feel myself glowing, so I know there's the same gleam in mine.
Flirting.
We're flirting.
It's a nice feeling.
A great feeling.
###
Later, we head for our cars. I fiddle with my keys trying to press my remote to unlock my door. With a remote for Milton's car on my ring, too, I'm doing a lot of fiddling. My car door unlocks, and I get in and crank up. I see Milton's car. He's heading out of the parking lot, and his trunk is raised, only about three inches or so, but still, raised.
He's about to pull out on the road, and I start blowing my horn. He stops, and I pull up alongside him. His expression is, well, expressionless. I look at his trunk that's up, and I look at him, and I look at his trunk, and I look at him, and I get so tickled, I'm howling with laughter, and I can't even get a word out.
He's sitting there staring at me. I laugh and laugh and laugh. Apparently, I popped his trunk when I was trying to get my door unlocked. I don't know why it strikes me so funny, but it does. I guess because I'm the one who did it, and he'd probably have driven all the way home with his trunk not closed, and I can see him driving, and the trunk starting to flip-flap, flip-flap, flip-flap, flip-flap.
Finally, I say, "Your..." hahahahahahahaha "...your...." hahahahahahaha. I point. At his trunk. "Your trunk is open."
I take off.
In a little while, we both pull into the garage.
We get out at the same time.
"Why'd you put my trunk up?" he asks.
I get the giggles again. "I didn't mean to."
There's that feeling again. A good one.
###
Done any flirting lately with your spouse?
The Bible says, "Rejoice with the wife of your youth." Included in that "rejoicing" is flirting, I'm sure.

2 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Miralee Ferrell said...

Whew! At first I thought it was another man that was flirting with you, rather than Milton and I was getting a bit worried and waiting for you to smack him! LOL! But then I realized my error and breathed a sigh of relief. Thanks for sharing a cute story with a good message.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Kaye Dacus said...

Alas, the only flirting I get to do is with waiters and the guys who (don't) rush to help me find stuff at Home Depot. I'm pretty good at it with waiters, though. I always get really good service if we have a male waiter, no matter who I'm at the restaurant with (not on dates, obviously).

Ah, something to look forward to down the road!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home