Thursday, March 29, 2007

THE TRICIA GOYER LOVE STORY



I'm delighted to interview Tricia Goyer today and find out "The Tricia Goyer Love Story."

Kristy: Tricia, tell us a little about yourself and your new book.

Tricia: Hi! I’m the wife of one, mother of three, and author of nine books, both fiction and non-fiction. A Valley of Betrayal is my newest novel from the series, Chronicles of the Spanish Civil War. The back cover says: "Artist Sophie Grace has one goal: finding her beloved Michael in war-torn Spain. His work as a news photographer has taken him deep into the country wracked by civil war between ragtag Spanish patriots and Nazi-backed Franco forces. Acclaimed author Tricia Goyer creates a riveting cast of characters against the backdrop of pre-WWII Spain. Love, loss, pain, and beauty abound in this first book in her new series, Chronicles of the Spanish Civil War. "

Kristy: A great book! Readers, it can be purchased at christianbook.com or your local Christian bookstore. This is Tricia's professional bio, below. This will give you the real scoop about her:
Tricia Goyer was named Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference Writer of the Year in 2003. Her book Life Interrupted was a finalist for the 2005 Gold Medallion, and her novel Night Song won First Place in the Book of the Year Contest, awarded by American Christian Fiction Writers (long historical romance category). She has written hundreds of articles, Bible study notes, and both fiction and non-fiction books. Yet those things pale in comparison to her love for her family. She's married to the love of her life, John, and they have three great kids whom she homeschools. Tricia's first novel, From Dust and Ashes (Moody Publishers) was inspired by true stories from World War II veterans. She heard so many great stories from veterans, she wrote three more novels in that series: Night Song, Dawn of a Thousand Nights, and Arms of Deliverance. Out of her own experiences as a teenage mother and her work with young moms, Tricia wrote Life Interrupted: The Scoop on Being a Young Mom (Zondervan). She recently completed Generation Next Parenting (Multnomah) for Gen X'ers (people born between 1964-1979). In addition to writing, Tricia enjoys sharing Jesus' love through volunteering as a mentor for teenage moms in her community. And she joins the rest of her family leading children's church every week. Tricia travels around the nation as a speaker.
Kristy: Now, for your love story. Tricia, what did you say your husband's name is?

Tricia: John

Kristy: How long have you been married?

Tricia: Seventeen years on April 7!

Kristy: If you were a Christian before you met him, were you praying for a husband? (as opposed to just trusting God with your entire future?)

Tricia: I gave my heart to the Lord about three months before I met John. I was a pregnant teen, and I told God He could take over my life because I had sure messed it up! I don’t remember praying for a husband. I was mostly concerned about taking care of my baby to come … a big challenge for a 17-year-old.

Kristy: How did you meet John?

Tricia: I met John at church. He was my pastor’s son. Well, I didn’t really “meet” him, but I saw him there. Then, the day my baby, Cory, was born he came to see me. He knew my boyfriend was out of the picture, and he was just trying to be nice. He brought a card and a teddy bear for Cory.

Kristy: Was it love at first sight, or did love come softly?

Tricia: Well, at first I was in shock. Seriously … a 23-year-old, handsome Christian guy was interested in me … after I just had a baby? I would say love happened pretty quick. I truly felt he was a gift from God.

Kristy: How long did you date before marriage?

Tricia: We married after dating 9 months. We were engaged after 4 months.

Kristy: How long did you date before you kissed?

Tricia: Oh, about three weeks. John and I got along great. We talked and talked. After three weeks I thought, I think I’m falling for this guy, and the kiss just happened.

Kristy: Tell us about the time/occasion you told him you loved him.

Tricia: John was at a birthday party for my 18th birthday. He bought me a necklace with two hearts entwined. I gave him a hug and before I realized it I whispered, “I love you.” I didn’t plan it. The words just came out.

Kristy: Tell us about the proposal.

Tricia: We got my mom to babysit, and John drove one-and-a-half hours and took me to dinner. Afterward we want for a walk in the local park. John was in a silly mood. There was a small stage, and he was dancing and singing all these Mr. Rogers Neighborhood songs. I couldn’t stop laughing. Then we went for a walk, and he led me to a streetlamp. Then he stopped and got down on one knee. It was so romantic!

Kristy: Tell us about your wedding? How many bridesmaids? Flowers you and they carried? Colors?

Tricia: I had three bridesmaids—my best friends. My color was peach, basically because we found cheap bridesmaids dresses in that color! The flowers were silk. We were poor, young kids … it was nothing fancy but I loved it!

Kristy: Did you buy, borrow, or make your wedding gown? What was it like?

Tricia: My mom found a gown when she was out of town visiting a friend. It was a $1,200 dress for $400, and she tried to explain it. I said, “Uh, okay.” My mom had been with me to try on dresses, and she knew what I liked. Amazingly it fit perfect!

Kristy: Did he smash the cake in your mouth, or was he a gentleman and gently put it in?

Tricia: We smashed cake at our wedding shower. (The church put it on for both of us.) At the wedding we decided to be nice.

Kristy: Where did you honeymoon?

Tricia: Hahaha … we were SO poor. We drove one-and-a-half hours to Redding, California and stayed at a Red Lion Motel. Nothing fancy at all! Since then we’ve been to Europe together. We also go away once a year, so we’re making up for it.

Kristy: Thanks for sharing, Tricia. It was a touching love story.

3 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, Cherie, for commenting and for visiting Christian Love Stories. Come again!

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy and Tricia, this was fun! What a great idea to hear the real-life romances of fiction authors!

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

I thought it was pretty neat--to hear how authors met their future spouses and fell in love. And also, tidbits about their weddings.

Glad you enjoyed it, Sally. Thanks for yur comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home