Tuesday, November 13, 2007

HE IS MY REFUGE


I woke up this morning (one of the times I woke up) with this song on my mind:

I will say of the Lo –o - - rd
He is my refuge!
I will say of the Lo – o – rd,
He is my tower!I will say of the Lo – o – rd,
He is my refuge,
What a mighty God
What a strong tower,
In Him will I put my trust!

(I may have interchanged the lyrics; don't have time to look them up.) But the song ministered to me. Last night, as Milton and I were lying in bed with our arms around each other, holding onto each other, this terrible fear came on me.

I can't do this.
I can't do this.
I can't do this.
I can't crawl into that narrow tunnel on Thurs. morning and then lay face down on that operating table afterward, and then go through untold MRIs and possible treatments for months to come.

And then!
And then!
And then!
The verse my darling mother Grace raised me on came to me:

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Philippians 4:13

That’s been my mantra for life. When I get afraid or lonely, or whatever, I repeat it, and I forge ahead and make it.

When I was in high school, I wanted to run for county office for a large club but was too timid to make my speech in front of the 400 delegates. Mother said, "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME," and made me repeat it over and over. She helped me write my speech, memorize, and I delivered it and was voted in!

My whole life, she poured Scriptures into her children's heart, and they're helping me now.

Thank You, Lord.

I CAN FACE THIS THING THURSDAY MORNING. GOD IS BIGGER THAN IT IS.

Have to run. Always in a run, it seems. The girls are running to the mall. Jennifer needs some shirts from The Limited. Living in San Juan, everything she has is hot weather stuff, and we're having a light Florida nip in the air.

I'm still trying to load the doctor's "anointing oil." It was such a hoot when Jennifer picked it up (see previous post) and made a joke about it being the doc's anointing oil like the roll-on bottle I carry in my purse, then realized it might be a urine specimen, and she about freaked out.

I think it's brain fluid.

1 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

He will be with you Thursday morning. Have a psalm on your mind (like the 23rd)--it really helped me through 3 surgeries.

Take slow, deep breaths as you head for the hospital. It will be okay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home