Friday, November 23, 2007

Tough Men and Tender Romance

This last week as I have been home for a few moments at different times while Kristy has been in the hospital dealing with a deadly tumor, some things have been very different for me. I don't think I can explain but I'll try.

I walked through the house filled with visiting family, but oh, it was sooo empty:

a kitchen...but no cook

a family room...but no family

a bedroom...but no lover

a back porch...but no one to share it's view

a dining room...but no one to dine with....

I would return to the hospital to hold the hand of my dearest, most precious friend only to wonder if after the surgery would she, could she ever see me, hear me, touch me, talk with me, share life with me again? The pain and horror of those thoughts are haunting and more terrible than you could imagine.

So what does a man who has faced such possibilities have to say to other husbands?

Hold her while you can. Hold her tightly. Hold her hand. Listen to her heart. Look into her eyes. Look at her across the room with that longing, I love you look. Kiss her more often. Be completed by her wonderful differences. Capture the magic and share the thrill of it all. Let the little things go by the board--I promise they don't matter even as much as the largest hill of beans.

Put some Cologne on and smell good for her. Take her to her favorite place to dine more often. Give a hand written, card with sweet words in it. Find out her favorite movie and share it with her. Turn football off and turn HG TV on. Let her hold the remote.

Grow up and get rid of some of your insecure, male ego. Get smarter and learn from her. Cook her a meal. Make up your bed. Wash some dishes. Do a little vacuuming. Repair something broken in the home without her asking. Let her buy a new dress without griping. You buy her a new dress without her knowing it.

Surprise her with something good.

Be male enough, strong enough, determined enough, to find your tender side. Find a few new, nice words and say them to her. Say them often. Say them sweetly and with quiet, moving, passion.

Share the moment...it might not last long.

Read her the Bible and pray with her. Pray over her heart's desire in your private prayer moments.

Let God do something fresh in your lives together.

Thankfully, many of these things have been a part of our lives for some time...but some of these thoughts are in need of my attention. Some of them I have never done.

I could quote a ton of Scripture, but this is from a hurting, tendered heart.

No wife is perfect and there is a long list of things women need to know about men, but I can tell you from a fresh wound and hurt in my being that you don't want to live and build a pile of massive regrets.

We will continue our romance. It will be sweeter, more precious, and it will have new sparkle....I promise!!

What will you do?

Ladies Listen Up:

I am asking you to put this in the hand of your husband. Tell him a man with new insight about life told you to give it to him. Print this and give to a friend whose husband might need some help.

How Is Kristy?

She had a wonderful day at home. She is weak, but relatively pain free. There is so much to deal with for her to get well, but our trust is in God. One of her doctors prayed for her yesterday while she was still in the hospital. God answers prayer. He is a miracle working God.

Keep praying for Kristy.....for us.

Her Husband, Milton

14 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Ann Closs said...

That was beautiful! Thank you for sharing that with us all. We are so thankful that she is home and can sleep in her own bed without vitals being checked every 4 hours and blood being drawn at 6 in the morning! yeah!!!! we love you two and we continue to pray for your miracle, Kristy.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Love,
Howard and Ann

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. Truly beautiful and meaningful words straight from the heart of one of the most devoted and loving husband we've ever know.

We'll keep praying for Kristy... and for you both.

Love,

Dawn & Skip Scott

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger SRI said...

My husband and I have been talking about these exact things lately. We've seen so many couples who seem to think it's a competition over who doesn't give in first. So many men and women who think it's a sign of weakness to be sweet and kind to the person God gave you to.

If only they could see the truth.

It's great Kristy is home.

We're continuing to pray for you all.

Lee

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron & Norma said...

We are glad we got to stay long enough to see you come home. Our hearts melted and our faith soared as we stood in the driveway with your daughter, son-in-law, 2 of your grandchildren and your brother and sister-in-law and cheered as you walked up the sidewalk through your front door and into the home you've decorated so beautifully.

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the most powerful things I've ever read. Thank you, Milton (and Kristy) for being so opened with us.

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you abundantly, Kristy and Milton. Thank you for reminding us what "forever" looks like in a godly marriage. You and Kristy inspire us to be better mates. You're an example of dying to self and living for Christ.

Love, Nancy

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

Milton,
Thank you for sharing these thoughts. From my own experience, I second every one of them. They should be required reading at least once a year for every married person.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you both. Please pass on our love from Kay and me to our favorite redhead.
"Dr. Richard"

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blessing to know you came home. Our love and prayers are with you. You look absolutely beautiful. Happy Holidays. Love, Steve and Kathy

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

I'm so glad Kristy is home again. She looks beautiful in the pics you posted.

Thanks, Milton, for sharing your heart with Kristy's blog readers, during her absence. It is obvious that you two are soulmates. Your advice to husbands is timely and good... especially loved the "let her hold the remote control" piece of advice. And here I thought it was just my hubby who has a hard time sharing that little gadget. ;)

Praying that brighter days are ahead.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Thank you for sharing this, Milton. Many more marriages will be better for it. Life hangs by a slender thread and only God knows the number of our days.

I'm praying you and Kristy have thousands and thousands more.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again for another encouraging message. I forwarded it on to my husband. I continue to pray for Kristy and all the family several times a day as the Lord brings you to mind.
"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trust in Him, and I am helped." Psalm 28:7
I am praying the Lord fills your heart with strength and courage for each day along with his tender comfort.
Love and a hug,
Carrie

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Maggie Brendan said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, Milton. You are so wise-these things really speak to a woman's heart. Kristy's got a keeper!

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this incredible journey with many who have not met you. Your courage, faith, focus and family are a huge testimony of how Christ makes a difference in unthinkable circumstances. Thank you for being so transparent and real. May His power and presence invade every area of your lives.
Judy and Orvey

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton and Kristy, I have posted an excerpt of this on my blog with a link back to yours. Your message needs to be shared with as many as possible. I am a cancer survivor, a fellow AWSA sis of Kristy's, and am praying for you both, as well as your children and grandchildren.

Blessings, Suzie Eller (T. Suzanne)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home