Sunday, January 27, 2008

TORMENTING THOUGHTS...


Milton, here:

The last few days have been especially tough on Kristy. She is very weak and is dealing with nausea and headaches. Yet, in all this she has kept her spirit of praise to God.

One week ago as we were pulling into the cancer treatment center for her radiation, I noticed her wiping tears. She was dealing with the thoughts of completing her treatments knowing this is all that's left--medically speaking.
We are obviously believing for complete healing, but the enemy of our souls comes with all forms of tormenting thoughts. Over the last few days, she had thoughts such as, I'm going to die. While I try to understand what she is going through, the fact is I don't know. I hold her, speak words of life to her, and believe with her and for her.


God has answered numerous prayers these last days to help her and that has been a huge comfort. Just this morning as I was leaving to go preach, she was so sick and I wasn't sure what to do. I told her I would stay or get someone to come and stay with her.

She said, "Just pray for me and pray that the swelling inside my brain with go down." I prayed, and I prayed especially for the swelling to go down.

I went on to church at her urging and kept the cell phone on all service. When I returned she said, "I'm better. Our prayer for the swelling to go down worked."

Kristy has chosen to refuse tormenting thoughts and just doesn't let them stick in her.

That is a good idea for all of us.

My sermon today was entitled Celebrate Today. I encouraged the people that God has a cure for the past and a comfort for tomorrow. Rest in Him and celebrate today.

Kristy is setting an amazing example to model and follow. She has and is living well--celebrating life every step of the way.

As I finish this post, I can hear her putting some laundry in the washer. She is one amazing lady. (I can do the laundry, but I find it real hard to stop her.)
The pictures above were taken before all this started. I'm thankful I have hugged her and kissed her often all these years. That has helped me so I don't have to make up for so many shortcomings of the past. I can love her and celebrate today!

5 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy..........remember what Louise, your Mother-in-law, kept saying to herself when the Drs. thought she was dying after her open heart surgery seven years ago? In her sub-concious state for more than two weeks in the hospital she would say over and over, "I shall live and not die." Today we came home from church and she prepared some wonderful smothered steak with all the trimmings for lunch.

After living together for more than 63 years I told her recently that I had given serious thought and she would stay with me for at least 30 more days. ;-) She replied she had planned too anyway. She looked great today.

"You shall live and not die."

Love you and Milton,

Dad

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Milton,

I may have shared this with Kristy in the early days of her diagnosis, but I want to share it again. It's a beautiful passage written by Frances de Sales, and I've drawn strength from it during the dark times of my life. The second paragraph is especially rich.

You and Kristy are in my prayers.

Do not look forward to the changes and chances of this life in fear. Rather look at them full of hope that, as they arise, God, whose you are, will deliver you out of them. He has kept you hitherto; just hold fast to His dear hand, and He will lead you safely through all things; and when you cannot stand, He will bear you in his arms.

Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow. The same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow, and every day. Either He will shield you from suffering, or will give you unfailing strength to bear it. So be at peace, then, and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginings.

—Frances de Sales

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Milton and Kristy,
I am praying for you this evening, asking God to give you an extra measure of comfort in Him and in each other. Thanks for sharing so honestly from your hearts. I am holding on to faith and hope with you,
Carrie

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Praying Kristy and Milton. Praying, praying,praying.

My pastor is preaching out of Marc and today stressed how Jesus wanted the temple to be a house of prayer. He desires the prayers of his people.

He hears prayer. He answers prayer.

love and hugs,
Pam

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

My prayers continue to go up for you and for Daddy God to comfort you where you are and restore your joy to you. And for you Milton - to continue to walk in God's strength and wisdom, and for his perfect peace to surround you. My heart goes to both of you, your family, your church, and your friends as you travel this road to victory.
Blessings,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home