Thursday, January 24, 2008

WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO FOR YOU?


As Jesus and his disciples were leaving Jericho, two blind shouted, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!"

Jesus stopped. "What do you want me to do for you?"

"Lord," they answered, "we want our sight."

Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes, the Bible says. Immediately they received their sight.


***

Picture: The day I came home from the hospital.

***

From the time I was diagnosed with GBM brain cancer in November, 2007, I prayed, "Lord let my life count for You. Use me for Your glory." My complete trust was in Him, and, it's a prayer I've prayed since I was a teenager.

From the volume of emails, comments on my blog, letters, cards, and phone calls, I believe that prayer is being answered. Hearing these reports has thrilled me, to know I am touching people, and drawing them closer to the Lord. Some have even said they're closer to their spouses.

The second prayer of my heart was, "Lord, if you want to heal me on earth, I want that, too. If you want to heal me in heaven, that's okay, too, because I'll get to see my beloved parents that much sooner." It wasn't that I had a lack of faith; it was simply that I was resting in the everlasting arms of God.

But that second prayer changed: "Lord, extend my life like You did King Hezekiah's."

I'm been bold in my asking, just as the two blind men in Matthew 20:29-34, NIV.

***

Following my surgery and having seen the pathologist's report, two neurosurgeons gave me this prognosis: on the average, you will live three to six to nine months.

I've just changed that second prayer again. It's even bolder: "LORD, I WANT YOU TO EXTEND MY LIFE!"

13 Comments:

At 1:09 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

Standing with you, Kristy!

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy,
I just wanted you to know that reading your blog--whether it be you or Milton or one of your sweet girls writing--has touched my heart so profoundly. Watching you and Milton face this battle with the warrior faith of David has nudged me to build up my own faith, to have ongoing conversations with the Lord and to love my husband and girls more freely.

God also put you in my path at this time to prepare me for the next phase of my writing life--as an encouragement in times of doubt and discouragement. I truly love you and your family, Kristy as my sisters and brothers in Christ and I'm praying for God to EXTEND your life.

Love ya,
Patty Smith Hall

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Mom's the Name said...

Dear Kristy,
Praying a prayer of thanksgiving with you and for you today - for you have blessed many around the world with your openness and honestness through these trials beyond everyday endurance. As I've been reading and keeping up with your adventures, adversities and victories, the following scripture keeps coming to mind:
“Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world” 1 John 4:4.
Thank you, Lord, for Krysty and her family!

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

Hi Kristy,
My pastor preached on this scripture a couple years ago, saying Jesus still asks that question of us. "What do you want me to do for you?"

I am praying that His will be done and asking that His will matches your desire to have your earthly life extended.

Pam

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

Oh, my gosh, I was so sad to read that one sentence, 3,6, 9 months. But, we know God is the great physician and He can heal you. I love the way you have been praying. We need to trust and obey. I am praying for you too, Kristy. I pray that you will be one of those stories who lives many, many years even after a prognosis like that. You are glorifing the Lord with your life and sharing it with all of us through your blog has really been amazing.

God bless you and your husband.

In Him ~ Sharon

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Katy McKenna said...

Kristy, I opened my Bible randomly this morning to that very story about Hezekiah. And I prayed for you, that the shadows on the stairway would retreat and that the Lord would add to your life. Much love from an ACFWer.

Katy McKenna www.fallible.com

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your blog earlier this week about eating that delicious homemade pie, I cringed remembering having heard that sugar "feeds" cancer. Today I took a few moments to find at least one article that supported what I had heard. The best one I found is called Cancer Self Help and can be found at http://www.stresssolutions.info/cancer.htm.

I didn't see anything in this particular article about Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), but other articles suggested ACV is extremely helpful in changing the pH levels in the body.

Of course I not suggesting trying anything (other than prayer) without getting your doctors approval - but you may want to talk with them about some dietary changes. I know that a fresh fruit cocktail won't satisfy the tastebuds like the fresh baked pie - but it may be worth it in the long run.

Love ya...and God bless,
Sharon

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger THOMBU1 said...

Let the Masters touch settle on your brow
Hear His voice of cheer speak softly
See His wondrous works performed
Smell The Rose of Sharon’s sweet perfume
Follow The Shepherds staff that leads the way
Love with His love shed in your heart
Think the thoughts of the mind of Christ
Let His wisdom guide your steps

Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid, the one who conquered Death Hell and the grave has conquered all other foes by His Cross. His sweet healing was paid for by so great a price, His own wounds.

Keep faith and trust in He who is worthy of nothing less. Praying for you. tom

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Kristy, that was my prayer too after my heart attack. And that was 18 years ago. God has given me more than I asked for. I'm praying it for you.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Kristy,
As I was praying for you today, God put on my heart to ask not just for the Hezikiah extension, but for a double or triple portion. You're my age, and 15 years just isn't enough.
God Bless,
Karen Wevick

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, all, for your comments and advice.

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger jAMiE said...

I am a fellow brain cancer patient and i too was given six months to live but i am still here, fighting...don't give up. I hope the Lord hears your prayers and answers them, you seem like a lovely lady.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Rose McCauley said...

praying that prayer with you, dear kristy! rose

 

Post a Comment

<< Home