Saturday, January 19, 2008

SISTER ACT

I enjoyed having my sister Rebecca visit me this week. When I came home from the hospital in November following surgery for GBM brain cancer, she stayed a week and nursed me through some unpleasant medical situations. She was a blessing to me.

One afternoon on her recent visit, she treated me to cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory.

Below are old photos of us. Bubba, the sailor, proudly served the nation in the U.S. Navy on the U.S.S. Coral Sea. During his time on board, a contest was announced: the serviceman who submitted the best design for a new insignia for the ship would win a trip to Paris. Bubba designe, submitted, won the contest, and went to Paris! The U.S. S. Coral Sea carried Bubba's insignia for years, and we were so proud.

Later, Bubba was an engineer for Boeing, and his hobby was painting wildlife. He entered the Federal Duck Stamp Contest twice and placed! Had his life not been cut short, we feel he would've won. On his quest to win the Federal Duck Stamp Contest, he won the Nevada Trout Stamp Contest, and every fisherman in Nevada that year had a picture of Bubba's leaping-out-of-the-water rainbow trout.

In the family photo above, Bubba is 21, Rebecca, to the right of Bubba, is a charming 15-year-old, Terry is 7, and I'm the well-loved "oops baby" at 5. Mother is standing to the left of Bubba, and the shadow is my father taking the picture. I think Mother had us pose in that "squinting spot" to show the azaleas and moss-draped oaks.
On the left, Rebecca, Terry, and I are in a photo booth at the beach. Rebecca took us lots of places. She was the best sister. I always wanted to be just like her, from the meticulous way she folded towels to her giving, generous nature. I wanted to go to the same college she chose, meet the man of my dreams, marry, have a home, have children, and live a happy life. All of those things came true for me.
Thank You, God, for a role model in my sister. Thank You, God, for my family.

4 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy,
I am so touched by all that you and Milton write, and we are praying for both of you. In your trials, you are both such an inspiration to us. We are getting a little taste of what it is like to live with the big "C". even tho our son's cancer is not as serious as yours, we are learning how it feels. And you bless us, and we love you!
Ed & Joan

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Rose McCauley said...

Dear Kristy, I am the oldest of seven siblings, and although two of ours had early demises at 49 and 52 the rest of us stay in touch and support and love one another. I loved seeing and reading about your roots. Keep writing! love and prayers, rose

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy - I love seeing your family and hearing you reminisce, but we need to hear how you are doing now. What is the latest? I felt more connected to your situation when you or Milton wrote about how your day or night was. How you felt physically and emotionally, what skills you'd gotten back. Please let we who are praying for you and love you know the latest - and greatest! Because we all know God IS GREAT! Love, Bonnie

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Kristy Dykes said...

Thanks, all, for your love and prayers. Bonnie, I just posted a new post, giving you an update on my weekend.

My prayer through all of this, is, "Lord, let my life count for You. Use me as You see fit." So you can pray that, too. I'll post more later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home