Saturday, April 26, 2008

HOW LONG?

Milton, here:

Several years ago I was jogging one morning and it hit me that I had lived well over half my life. It was depressing. It was my brief mid-life crisis moment. How did I get to this point in life so quickly? Unbelievably, amazingly, suddenly, over half my life was spent, gone, done.

Then the Lord spoke into my heart, "That's not so…You haven't lived over half of your life. You are going to live forever. You are just getting started."

Wow! I knew that, but that morning He made it real to me. It became personal. My jogging picked up pace and I had a great day.

Kristy looked at me a couple of evenings back and said, "It is only a grain. Just a grain of sand. One tiny grain. My life is here on earth is a mere single grain of sand amid all the handfuls of sand you can hold and the untold grains of sand that fill the oceans and seas of the world. We are created for eternity."

That's perspective. That is what has caused Kristy to live her life since a child with the goal of seeking first the Kingdom of God.

***

Kristy and I have had some very frank discussions about what she is facing and how to deal with it. We are believing and praying for a miracle, but all of us face our mortality.

None of us know the day or hour when we will leave this world. I could go to heaven before Kristy or some of you could pass today. Who knows what the future holds?

When this hurts beyond what we can bear, then we look to Him.

We think of heaven, eternity, and God's promises for the next life. He has and is helping us every step of the way and He gives real perspective so we don't lose sight of our higher, heavenly goal.

10 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Kathy Collard Miller said...

Milton & Kristy, Don't take for granted God's gift for you to talk frankly. I have Christian friends who face terminal illness and she is in complete denial about her prognosis. Thank you for your example of strength.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I've had the same realization, Milton, of growing older. Shocking to say the least. But Kristy is so right, this is just our gestation time before we're born into eternity.

Like you, I'm praying for a miracle for Kristy here on earth, but trusting God that He alone knows the very best for her.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger THOMBU1 said...

Dear Brother and Sister Dykes. I have a friend who keeps me abreast of the revival that has broken out there in Lakeland Florida where miracles of Salvations and great Healings too numerous to count are occuring daily. The link she sent me is http://www.lakelandlocal.com/
Now I am not one to go here and there looking for Gods power, but I do believe that just as in the Brownsville Assembly of God church where revival undisputedly broke out in the past that also God can have new places that He can demonstrate His mighty power. I am sure that if they can pray for Kristy that she will be blessed. I do not know from which denomination, or background the ministers are from, but I know that God is not interested in what label we wear, but just that the name of Jesus is on it. Please look into it, and at least share with us what is going on down there. I pray the Lord is truly moving again in a mighty way. Your friend, tom

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two more gracious people facing this challenge remains to be seen. Thank you for your honesty and perspective.

May the Lord continue to make you aware of His presence in and with you through this unpredictable journey.

Thank you for all that you share.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

You two are so often in my prayers. Know you're loved by many.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Diann Hunt said...

So true. Thank you so much for sharing your hearts with us. We love you and continue to pray . . .

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Shana said...

continuing to pray - love, shana

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger THOMBU1 said...

For Kristy,

Safe and Secure

Safe and secure in Jesus Christ
In Him she has hidden all of her life
Reared in His shadow and master plan
Shielded from harm by His mighty hand
Taken from evil and pulled near to Him
Rescued from torment and all that is vile
Kept in His presence gazing on His smile
Wrapped in the garment of praise to her King
Shouting His praises she dances before Him
Loving her Savior with fervent desire
To serve Him in gladness and joy
What joy, what faith, what Love for Her God
How faithful, how loving, how true
Anointed, and blessed and kept in Hs care
Trusting Him always keeping Him near
Raptured in His presence in true Love Devine
Taken from care and placed in sweet peace
Feeling redemptions sweet release
Knowing her life is hidden in Him
Holding her heart in His nail scarred hands
Every beat, beats for Him
Every thought is captured by Him
Her desire is to see Him in His glory Devine
His countenance she longs to gaze upon
She aches for His sweet embrace
She longs to hear Him say
Come hold my hand and don’t let go
Hold on tight as we journey on
I will lead you where you need to go
Follow me closely, walk with me
To wonders unseen and treasures unknown
To the depths of my being, the depths of my heart

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy and Milton,

I love Kristy's comment that we are made for eternity. What a wonderful thought! Yes, that is a great perspective to carry with us on the journey.

Yesterday I watched the move Though None God With Me. It is based on Jerry Jenkin's book by the same title. What a touching story. I think you would really enjoy it, and hope on one of those days when you need to rest that you can pop it in the DVD player and enjoy it.

I cried when I saw it the first time, and I cried again last night. I think seeing the main character's faithfulness, and the way that was appreciated at the end was very touching.

We all hope our life will make a difference, and that is one of the themes of this movie. Also, committing your life to God and trusting Him for the grace needed on the journey even when things are difficult.

Love and prayers,
Carrie

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

We still serve a miracle-working God. I pray for His highest will, but I ask for a miracle. "Ye have not because ye ask not."

So, I ask and "reason" with Him, "With His stripes, we are/were healed." Yes! (Exclamation point!)

Here's a story about a friend of mine who received a wonderful miracle of healing. I verified it.

You may have to copy and paste the broken link into the address line:

http://margosmoments.blogspot.com/2007/12/went-to-revival-or-something-and-came.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home