Sunday, May 18, 2008

IT BEGAN LIKE THIS..

Milton, here for Kristy:

Kristy had a subdued Saturday. She was rather quiet with some confusion. The day ended well with a sweet kiss and a loving good night.

Julie took Alex and Nic to their father Saturday afternoon and returned. It was tough watching their Nana hug them bye as the boys left.

***

My love for Kristy began like this:

I was a senior in college taking a sophomore course which I needed to graduate. It was a psychology class taught by Crandel Miller. Just as the class began, I quickly asked Kristy if I could talk with her after class.

She later told me that she thought I was going to speak to her about making a missions pledge as I was the student missions president for Southeastern Bible College now Southeastern University. She said she worried the whole class wondering what I wanted to speak to her about.

I had always loved redheads as I had dated several and Kristy was and is such a beauty. Actually, I had just broken up with another redhead, but Kristy had caught my eye.

Her creamy white, china doll skin was smooth and so fair.

Her eyes were deep emerald green with sparkly twinkles of life.

Her hair. Oh, her most beautiful bright red hair.

Even at a distance as I didn't really know her that well, her wit, humor, love of life, and deep commitment to the Lord caught me.

She was pure, sweet, and gloriously wonderful.

My eyes have been on her ever since.

"Would you go to chapel this Friday night with me," I asked?

After we were married, Kristy told me that she was so relieved that I wasn't going to talk about her missions pledge that she quickly said, "Yes."

We had our first date in a Friday night chapel service and I never dated another from that day forward. Kristy had won my heart.

Crandel Miller had a famous saying he made over and over. Every student that took his classes remembers it until this day. He said, "What you feed grows. What you starve dies."

My love for Kristy began that day. It is still growing.

15 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MILTON

What sweet rememberings. My sweet heart husband and I also remember Crandel Miller's saying: "What you feed grows and what you starve dies". We have based our life, with God's help, on that saying. And have instilled that into our children. It applies to every area of life, heart, soul, mind, physical, and so forth. Your and Kristy's Love Story is a true example, that if you feed your heart and marriage with the right things, good things will grow! All anyone has to do is look at your faces. The glow is still growing. Still praying for you both.
Bev (Gibson) Jones
Trk N 4 JC

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

What fun to hear how the great romance between the red-head and the hero began. And how apropos that it began by going to chapel for you two. Thank you so much for sharing so much of yourselves in this blog, especially at this time.

A man from my church just passed away on Friday and when he was told only a month ago that he had liver cancer and had only one month to live he burst out singing "This place is not my home..."

Today my pastor preached from 2 Peter where Peter says that to God a thousand years is like a day. Pastor Colin calculated that out to an earthly lifespan of 70 years being equal to 700 minutes, or roughly and hour and a half. From God's POV our lifetime is around an hour and half in His timetable. He went on to factor out other spans down to mere seconds. But the good news is our early life may only be the equivalent of 700 minutes, but our time with God is for eternity! Praise the Lord for that!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Janet Spaeth said...

This is a beautiful story. The love you have for each other has been apparent from the beginning. I've been reading back over the old posts in this blog, and smiling at the humor and the love that has marked your relationship. You two were truly meant for each other.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

Pastor Dykes,

My prayers are with you, Kristi, and your family. My mother told me about this blog, and I googled to check it out. Know that we all love you and Kristi so very much and think about you often.

With love
Suzy (Payne) Grove
from Leesburg 1st (now in Winter Springs)

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same type of relationship with my husband. It really and truly is a gift from God.

((((((((((Milton & Kristy))))))))))

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. x

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful, love story!!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Loving Our Homeschool said...

What a sweet memory of how you met! Thank you for taking the time to share.

Ive been praying for healing, strength, and for God's presence to be shown in a mighty way to you all.

Heather

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy:
Just wanted to leave some encouraging scriptures, personally for you.

Kristy, call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things, which you know not. Jeremiah 33:3
Kristy, wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say on the Lord. Psalm 27:14
And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep Kristy's heart and mind through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6,7
But thou, O Lord, art a shield for Kristy, her glory, and the lifter up of her head. Psalm 3:3
Being confident of this very thing, that he who has begun a good work in Kristy will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6
What shall we then say to these things? If God be for Kristy who can be against her? Romans 8:31
God is Kristy's refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
Kristy can do all things through Christ who strenghtens her. Philippians 4:13
Kristy, He gives power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increases strength. Isaiah 40:29
Blessings on you and Milton.
Love,
Steve and Kathy

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Pamela Tracy said...

What a beautiful story. Kristy, lots of prayers are going up for you. You are a beautiful lady and obviously have been blessed with people who love you.

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember those Friday night chapel dates too! My have things changed since we all had those first dates...
Give Kristy a hug from me. I'll see you again in a few days.

Sis

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about that last post. That's what happens when you watch TV while posting!

Should be "My how things have changed"...

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Thank you for continuing to share. Kristy and your family are still in my prayers. God Bless

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton and Kristy,
I'm such a romantic! I see that both of you are, as well. Your life has been so exciting and full of life! I loved what you shared about Crandel Miller. Oh, the truth!

You've taught us all to love greater, to appreciate deeper and to keep KEEPIN' ON, no matter what the circumstance. I love both of you so much for your allowing us to share in this delicate, intimate journey. For by your sharing, you've inspired others' to follow your example. And, isn't that truly what God wanted us to do?

Thank you, again - for inspiring us!

Love and Prayers,
Cathy

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful love story with us. You and Kristy are a romance writer's dream couple.

Also, this is the first I heard Crandel Miller's famous saying, but I wrote it out and pasted it where I can see it: WHAT YOU FEED GROWS. WHAT YOU STARVE DIES.

There's no doubt that you and Kristy have been feeding one another heaping spoonfuls of love and kindess and understanding.

{{{KRISTY & MILTON}}} 4-ever

Our love and prayers,
Nancy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home