Sunday, June 15, 2008

JULIE'S REFLECTIONS ON HER MOM

Milton, here for Kristy:

Julie wrote this a few days back:


Now it's my time to care of my mother.

This picture shows perfectly how my mother has lived her life- always thinking of others.

This picture was taken this past Christmas. Mom had her brain surgery in November and was still recovering. We were going to go on a neighborhood hayride a little later, but Mom wouldn't be able to do that with us. My father, my children, my sister, her husband, and their children were all outside putting up Christmas lights. As we were outside, out walked Mom, with a tray of hot chocolate. She is so sweet. She has always been this way.

Oh how I appreciate her. She has taught me so much in my life. And during this time that I wish we didn't have to face, she has even taught me more. She has taught me so much about love. She doesn't have a selfish bone in her body. She has always given so sweetly to her family and to others. The sincerity of her heart and all that she has modeled makes me want to be a better mother, daughter, sister, friend, teacher…

All my life she has taken such wonderful care of me. I have such special memories of times in my life when I was sick, or suffering with a migraine and she so sweetly and patiently did special things that made me feel comforted.

Sweet, patient, caring, loving, kind… These are words I've repeated several times. But they accurately describe her. These are the words that pop in my mind every time I think of my mother. Doesn’t this remind you of God's love too?

My mother has taken such wonderful care of me my entire life.

Now, it's my time to take care of her.


***

Milton, here:



(See the stained glass window in the above picture? Guess who painted it her favorite color when we bought and decorated our house?)

I thanked Kristy Saturday evening for making me a father by giving me to beautiful daughters. Julie and Jennifer took me out to an early Father's Day celebration for lunch on Friday. We ate overlooking downtown on the St. Johns River and they treated and gave me the most beautiful, loving cards expressing their feelings to me. They are wonderful daughters.

They have given Kristy and me four beautiful grandchildren. God is so good.

***

How is Kristy?

She rested most of Saturday after her more active and alert Friday.

She wanted me close but she didn't talk as much. I told her funny stories we lived out. We have had wonderfully blessed and sometimes hilarious times together. She likes the funnies and I do too. The laughter is health and healing from the Lord.

We prayed, listened to soft worship music, and briefly sang along with the music on my Nano Ipod. God's presence fills our bedroom and more--our hearts and lives.

6 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger Lysa TerKeurst said...

Still praying for you all.

Those are beautiful words Julie. Your description of your mom makes me want to step back from the daily tasks of raising my 5 kids and examine how I'm truly doing.

I've always believed that great sermons are not preached, they are lived.

Kristy continues to live a really great sermon.

Sweet Blessings!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

Happy Father's Day to all of you.

I'm still thinking about that deacon in the closet. He might have been somebody's father, too!

Our church is having a guitar choir this morning. Any man who plays a guitar or similar instrument will do a song together. Should be very interesting.

May you all have a wonderful day together. Your love for one another and the Lord is just beautiful with your singing and praying together. Your tributes and affirmations are so special. If all families talked to and about each other this way--God's way--it would be a different world.

Sending love and hugs and prayers and blessings~

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,

God's presence in your hearts and lives overflows to those of us reading this blog. I thank God that you and Kristy have opened your lives and shared your joy, your love, your compassion with us. We are truly blessed. What glory you bring the King!

Nan S.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

I love the funny papers! My mother loved them, too, and read them to me before I could read. My favorite is For Better or Worse. The son is a writer, so it's relavant. :D

As always, I'm praying. And Happy Father's Day, Milton.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Thinking of you all this Father's Day and still praying.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Dear Milton, Kristy, Julie, and Jennifer,

Today at church we sang, I Can Only Imagine, and I was thinking of what an awesome experience it will be to enter heaven and see Jesus. My Mom and Dad have gone ahead, and I imagined them there and look forward to seeing them again. Some day we will all be together there. I imagine Kristy will greet me too...and I imagine she will be dancing around heaven and decorating it in beautiful shades of aqua!

Julie, I loved reading your thoughts about your mom. Yes, she has been a wonderful example for you, and nothing can take that away. You will always have those sweet memories and your life will always be richer because of her love and her impact on your life.

Sending love and prayers,
Carrie in NJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home