Friday, June 06, 2008

GOD ORDAINED DREAMS...

Milton, here for Kristy:

Thursday morning Kristy ate a small bowl of oatmill and perked up briefly. She held me close and weakly shared her love. Her Aunt Jo and Cousin Jan came to see her and they always get a stir fr0m Kristy. She had a better day overall.

Thursday Carrie T. wrote a comment on Kristy's blog concerning an interesting Internet promotion by CBD. They had sent out a promo that included a author/artist review by Kristy which was actually written in 2006. It was sent out just yesterday as I understand it.

When I saw the interview I printed it out and read it to Kristy. She had been sleeping, going in and out, but when I shared the interview she perked up, smiled, and raised her hand and praised the Lord! She kept a smile as I read the whole article.

Isn't it interesting to see this real and personal illustration of the power of writing. Kristy is so terribly sick in bed but her written words reach out beyond her and touch others around the world.

Wow!!!!

Here is the Internet connection to CBD and the novella that she coauthored.

(Double click on the link below, and then scroll down. Also when at the site, double click on her name at the top of the link for her other books. This was neat for me to see. )

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=93538&netp_id=435035&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=details

Here is the article as I copied it from the site. Read the last part. I have heard her share this many times and it always inspired me and those who listened.

Author/Artist Review
Author: Kristy Dykes


Located in: Florida
Submitted: February 21, 2006


Tell us a little about yourself.

I have nine titles of Christian fiction with Barbour, and I've written over 600 published articles and worked for two New York Times subsidiaries. I'm happy to say some of my works are award-winning, such as my novella in Church in the Wildwood won Third Place in the 2004 American Christian Fiction Writers Book of the Year Contest (novella category). In the 90s, I had a dream to write and publish Christian fiction. I studied the craft diligently (still do), took a weekly college fiction-writing class for four years, got a critique partner, and wrote till my eyes burned.

In 2000, my dream came true when my novella appeared in American Dream, and amazingly, it hit the Christian Bestsellers List. I'm touching hearts with love and laughter with my writing, according to the reader mail I get.

Got a reader letter the other day, and she said, "When you almost want to pray for the characters, that is a high compliment to the author." Another said, "I don't generally identify so strongly with stories, nor do they usually cause me to change the way I do things or think. Yours did. Your writing, and in turn, you, are a blessing to me, and I wanted you to know that your work did some good." I pray I will always lift up the Lord and bless people's hearts with my fiction.

What was your motivation behind this project?

I love to cook. As I said, I was bred on Nana's layer cakes. And I love to entertain. As a pastor's wife whose hobby has been cooking and entertaining, I've often felt like I've run a B&B with all the people I've hosted, such as missionaries, evangelists, singing groups, etc. When I worked for a New York Times subsidiary, the editor said one day they needed a story about cooking. I said, "I've cooked for 100 people in my home and love to cook. Last week, I had a dinner party for 22 people and had a ball." The editor said, "Write me a story. By tomorrow." So I did, and a weekly column entitled "Kristy's Kitchen" was born.

So when I dreamed up Kiss the Bride, I envisioned four young women in the food business. They all own restaurants, they meet at a restaurant convention, and they bemoan the lack of men in their lives. Then, each novella tells each of their love stories. During the entire book, they pass around an apron with the words Kiss the Cook written on the front. The last groom crosses out "Cook" and writes "Bride" because the girls have all become brides by the end of the book. Fun!

What do you hope folks will gain from this project?

I am one of four co-authors in Kiss the Bride. (Coauthors: Kristy Dykes, Aisha Ford, Vickie McDonough, Carrie Turansky.) We all had a great time working on this project, and we hope readers will experience what I call The Three E's: entertained, encouraged, and enlightened. All of our novellas are based on scriptures, plus the book has a fun theme with a traveling apron among four cooks, so I think those expectations will be met.

Who are your influences, sources of inspiration or favorite authors / artists?

I was bred on Jesus and Nana's layer cakes in the Deep South, in that order. :) So naturally, my stories have references to Bible verses and eating! When I was a teenager, my mother gave me a copy of Catherine Marshall's Christy, and I was enthralled. I also read Grace Livingston Hill, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, Victoria Holt, and other great writers. I'm a big reader of all types of books, from novels to how-tos to biograhies, to you name it.

Anything else you'd like readers / listeners to know:

I believe a dream is a God-ordained desire that He's put down in your heart, IF you're walking in His will and asking Him to direct your paths. Whatever your dream is, it's attainable, if you'll pay your do's (misspelling intended).

1. DO rest in your call. 1 Thessalonians 5:24 says, "He who calls is faithful, who also will do it." Be assured that the Lord will bring about His divine plan for you, even through the hard times (like rejections for writers!).

2. DO everything you know to do and do it diligently, according to Ecclesiastes 9:10. Apply yourself. Study in your field. Work hard. Don't slack. And then keep applying yourself. Keep studying in your field. Keep working hard. Keep determining not to slack.

3. DO not want "it" above the Lord. Matthew 6:33 says, "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you." Put the Savior at the top of your list. Worship Him. Work for Him. Seek Him.

And then remember Habakkuk 2:3: "For the vision is yet for an appointed time. But at the end, it will speak and will not die. Though it tarries, wait for it. Because it will surely come." My dream came true, and your dream can come true! I speak that blessing over your life, in Jesus' name!

14 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi this is strnge you would write about this , I just read Kristy's book "ROOM AT THE INN", NOW i am reading American Dream, theyare awesome, she put in lot sof love, patience, strength and encouragemment in her writings. I found these 2 at public library, i want to read her other books.Still praying for you all

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this comment. It is so encouraging.

One of the struggles of this is feeling that her dreams were not achieved. I can see better that God is at work for more than I know.

How wonderful to know that you found her books at the library. Others will too.

Milton Dykes

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog through a link from a mother asking for prayer for Kristy. Then I realized that this was Kirsty of Kristy's Kitchen which has been a resource and joy for me for years! Now, to find her still ministering, still exhorting us to be good wives, mothers, women has touched me profoundly. I find myself giving thanks for Kristy's life and prayer for her present situation several times a day. I think I've read every entry of her blog...twice. God Bless her and your family today in your present struggles. You are all inspirations.
Barbara J.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Dear Milton and Kristy,

I am so glad to hear that article encouraged Kristy! She has blessed and influenced many through her writing and she will continue to do that as her words circulate around the world.

This morning on my walk I listened to a song by Matt Redman called You Never Let Go. It reminded me of you all, so I sang along and prayed for you as I walked. I thought you might like to read the words.

You Never Let Go
By Matt Redman

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I’m caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won’t turn back
I know You are near

And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?

Chorus:
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
We’ll live to know You here on the earth

Chorus:

Yes, I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
Still I will praise You, still I will praise You

Love and prayers from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristy's "do's" ministered so deeply to me this morning. Please thank her for her insight, determination, faithfulness, example in the valley of the shadow of death, and absolute valiant fight and faith. Thank you both.

May the Lord cause His face to shine upon you this day, wrap His strong and loving arms around your entire family, and may you feel His presence, warmth, and the Breath of Life from Him. In the Name of Jesus, Amen.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Mary Connealy said...

It has to be God's timing that the Florida Weddings book is out right now. Bringing Kristy to a lot of people's minds when she (and all of you) needs prayers.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Margo Carmichael said...

Wow, a friend just emailed and asked for prayer for her arthritis and I sent her Habakkuk 3:2. I just long to see the Lord manifesting Himself to those who love Him and want to know Him more.


On the way to that verse, I saw Habakkuk 2:3 and remembered applying it to writing!

This was five minutes ago! Then I came here and saw it again. Don't you love it when the Lord does that. It reminds me of his watchcare over us all.

What good words Kristy wrote there. She is so wise. And prolific. You can't argue with success.

God bless you all with His loving watchcare today!

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is good to allow Kristy to know her word have made such a difference and will continue to do so. She'll eternally be a blessing to others.

I'm glad to hear the review cheered her and lifted her spirits. May God continue to bless Kristy and her family.She is such an inspiration to me. I've been wanting to write for God since the 90's, too, and I've tried, but I needed to study more. I now have critique partners, and I'm learning and studying. I pray some day my words will also be a blessing to others.

Barb

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How marvelous! God's timing is EVERYTHING, isn't it?

Eva Marie

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Rose McCauley said...

I met Kristy over 5 years ago at the ACFW conference, and she has been a huge source of encouragement to me ever since! In fact, she had emailed me just a few weeks before her diagnosis to tell me that she had a new anthology in mind for us to try to do together and would let me know when the idea jelled in her mind. Please tell her that her words today have encouraged me again to DO my best for the Master as she has done all her life. Praying for a miracle of God's choosing, and for His peace that passes understanding. love, rose

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

I just got home from two days at the Write to Publish conference. Even there Kristy's name came up. People are aware and are praying.

Diane, the woman from CBD who handles the fiction portion of their website, was at last year's ACFW conference. She would have been the one to post that interview. I wonder if she knows how ill Kristy is now. I sat next to her at the awards banquet and she is a lovely woman who loves Christian fiction. She does a lot to promote it at CBD.

Thanks for pasting it into the blog, Milton.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

As I've always told my writing students, the power of the pen is eternal. Words live forever, and they continue to touch the people who read them, long after the author is gone.

Praying for you all.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger GloreyBHere said...

The "Do's" encouraged and blessed me today. Thank you. I have finished a (writing) project and was wondering about it - should I bother trying to go further and then I read, 'rest in your call, do everything you know to do and do it diligently, and do not want it more than God.' Oh God would we be "dreamers of YOUR dreams" for our lives.
Father, encourage Kristy and tell her she has made a difference. Bless her and Milton for their honesty, their faith and more than anything else, continuing to do the "next right thing" in the face of adversity. Is 26:3

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Milton, Kristy's words and the love people feel through them will continue to reach people long after she goes home - even if the Lord keeps her here another 30 years. :D

Her faith and love for souls is so real it leaps off the pages an into the readers' hearts.

God won't take her home before her job is done. I'm as certain of that as I am of salvation. Because she's been obedient and done what she was called to do, He will have allowed her to complete her task.

As always, I'm praying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home