Friday, July 18, 2008

FOUR HUNDRED CRAZY TEENS WHO PRAY

Milton, here for Kristy:

Giving Kristy her medicines is a tenuous task. Our family has so graciously and lovingly cared for Kristy and I have not dispensed any of her medicines since the day she went into the hospice center and returned home almost two and a half months ago. They have been so kind to help.

So when I helped give them to her for the first time the last couple of days, I will admit that I was a little shaky. Some are given in pill form but several are given orally by syringes that gently push the liquid into her mouth. She is the best sport in taking all this as it is a repeated process over and over throughout the day and night. It isn't easy for her and it is challenging for the care giver.

As I attempted to squeeze one of the doses into her mouth, she said with lips tightly pressed around the tube and teeth gritting together, "You're pushing too hard...."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Kristy," I said, "I didn't mean to."

Even with that she had a good attitude and grinned and bore my ineptness. I was trying so hard to do the best I could for her. I guess that is what we do in marriage. We sometimes have to grin and bear each other's ineptness.

Rebecca is here now and she will do better with the meds.

***

As I sat in our office Friday afternoon, Jennifer came in and prayed the most beautiful prayer for me. I had opened several cards that came in the mail and was overcome with the love of so many toward us and the stress of seeing my dearest friend suffer.

God knows what we need and is faithful to lift us up by His love which flows through human vessels. Word can't express how much it meant to hear my sweet Jennifer praying for her Dad.

***

Friday evening Mike and Dana, our music directors, came by and sang several songs for Kristy. Mike is a fabulous musician and they have great voices--more importantly they have servant hearts. We always enjoy their anointed ministry and one of the songs was a good old one with words that are our prayer.



(Double click on the arrow to play video.)

***

Every comment that is made encourages us. Thank you for all the cards, letters, and and uplifting expressions. This one from Friday night especially blessed me in that Kristy loves children and youth. She has led just about every ministry in the church including children and youth. I was thrilled to hear that 400 crazy teens were praying for her.

Summer camp as children and youth was a big deal and a super spiritual blessings. Both Kristy and I enjoyed going to summer camps--she attended in Florida and I went to Oak Mountain State Park in Alabama when my Dad served as the state youth director. Boy those were the good ole days for sure, but it sounds like today's teens are having a good time too and are committed to prayer. May God bless them all.


Anonymous said...

We have been praying for all of you every service at our church and in our home. Our 12 yr old son just came back from youth camp and told us "Guess who we prayed for at camp? Kristy Dykes!" He thought it was so cool cuz we are always praying for her! So just to let you know you guys had 400 crazy teens praying for you at the Pen Fl camp!! We will continue to pray as you all fight this battle!!


Yvonne Clanton

***

How is Kristy?

Friday was a blue day for her. She struggled with confusion and pain. The Lord is helping her and we sing to her and speak love and sweet words to comfort her. She is weakening and not rebounding as quickly from her low points.

We are learning more about the daily grace of God. He is able. His grace is sufficient.

Jennifer is healing faster than the doctor said she might. She definitely has a breakout of psoriasis from the strep throat. Two doctors have confirmed it. This is rare, but I guess our family is going through a rare time.

Julie is better.

9 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor, Kristy, and readers,

You did have 450 crazy kids at camp praying for you all on Thursday night. Just wanted to give you a little bit of background as to what happened...

Wednesday night, the evangelist preached on healing, and we had many students get healed during that service from a variety of ailments, including broken bones, dislocated shoulders, wrist problems, and scoliosis. The students, not leaders, were the ones who prayed for each other, and many were used by God in the gift of healing.

Thursday night, Tom Benigas approached me and said he felt like the Camp should pray collectively for Kristy. He called me, and the 4 girls from our youth group up front to stand in for Kristy. Many leaders, pastors, and students gathered around us and proclaimed healing and strength for Kristy, for you, and for your family. It was powerful!

Know that many students are continuing to pray for you - and after this week at Camp, they know how to rumble with the enemy!

~ Brittany

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton -
How touching and beautiful that singing was this morning, as I checked in on you and Kristy! But, not only did I adore the singing, I so loved hearing your uplifting words to Kristy. Just to hear you say, "Wasn't that beautiful Kristy? The Lord is leading and He is GOOD." Hearing her respond quietly was so beautiful to hear.
The journey HAS NOT been easy for any of you. There must be many overwhelming moments, as when Jennifer came in and prayed for her Daddy. I know your heart was squeezed to hear your youngest daughter pray a prayer over her beloved father, whom she has watched STAND (Ephesians 6:13 - "having done all, I will stand") These are difficult times for you, and I'm so thankful that you have an endearing family, always pulling together. How blessed you are!
So glad Jenn and Julie are better! We are praying for the strength of God for each of you, not only Kristy.....And, my prayer is that today goes well for all of you.

GOD IS A GOOD GOD! EVERY HEARTACHE HE UNDERSTANDS........
(Remember the theme song from Oral Roberts' t.v. broadcast years ago?)

Many blessings <><,
Cathy

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

That's wonderful about the teens! Still praying for healing and comfort.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We continue to lift all of you in prayer. We know the Lord inhabits the praises of His people, and what a precious tribute to His goodness...this blog, the voices lifted to Him, the prayers from all over the world.

Your journey has become our journey. Thank you for letting us be a part of this. For the privilege to pray for/with all of you precious saints.

We ask our good and mighty God that all of Kristy's dreams be filled with visions of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That He continues to fill all of you and your home with His overflowing comfort and joy, in the mighty name of Jesus. And we plead the blood of Jesus over all of Kristy's thoughts, that only what comes from the Lord could penetrate her mind and spirit.

Love & continued prayers,
Nancy & family

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

How sweet the prayers of the saints, and especially the faith of teens.

I'm praying that God will ease Kristy's pain and confusion, be merciful and gentle with her. May He strengthen you, Milton, and give you peace. And as always, we pray for Kristy's healing.

It's good to hear Jennifer is healing well.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

It was great to hear about the teens who are praying for Kristy. Thanks for sharing that wonderful song. I am so glad you are surrounded by family and friends who are caring for Kristy and you and showing their love in such practical ways.

I am praying that Kristy will feel comforted today, rest well, and be aware of the love that surrounds her.

Sending love and prayers for you all,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

II Corinthians 1:3-5:

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.
------
Milton, Jennifer, and Julie...my own words fail me, but God's Word endures. May you sense His presence and feel his comforting arms around you today, tomorrow, and throughout this ordeal. You are not alone. His love surrounds you and the prayers of countless believers sustain you. Thank God for the bond we share in Jesus!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Mary Connealy said...

A rare time probably is the perfect description.

 
At 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On March 12 of this year, Kristy wrote an entry that ended with this:

""Lord, the day I was diagnosed GBM stage 4 brain cancer, You dropped a cloud of peace over me, and it hasn't left, and just as You did that for me, I know You will do that for everyone involved in this journey. I have confidence in You, Lord. The same day You dropped that cloud of peace over me, You slid a large "chair" under me, and it has held me up ever since.

"Thank You, Lord, for Your blessings on me."

She has remained faithful throughout this trial, and what has blessed me most is her faith in God's plan. She doesn't know when or how he will heal her--here or in Heaven, but she knows that he will.

Praise God for his presence and provision. Without Him, our hope tank would be running on empty.

I am praying for you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home