Monday, August 04, 2008

AND THE WINNERS ARE....

Milton, here for Kristy:

Can I ask a favor from you today? This isn't a favor I'm asking from you for me, but a favor I'm asking for someone close to you. Look around you. It is really a small favor but with huge consequences for someone. You can do it. I know you can do it.

Just listen to them. Don't talk. Just listen.

Quieten your spirit and pay attention to someone within voice range. Someone who is trying to say something that is big and hurtful and needy within his or her heart. It may be coming out in a real angry or in a harsh tone. It may not sound good. You may not have the answer at all to their need. All that really doesn't matter.

This is what matters. Will you listen to your son or daughter or spouse or sibling or mom or dad or a coworker or a stranger? Can you forget for just a moment what is hurting you or what is important to you?

Jesus listens. His ear is open. He understands. Maybe we need to be more like Jesus and listen. I'm probably the world's worst at this because preachers talk. They talk a lot. They have lots to say. They talk long and with great intensity. We aren't always good listeners, but we should be. I am learning that sometimes all people need is for someone to listen even when what they are saying doesn't make sense.

Maybe I can be more like Jesus and just listen.

You know what? I really would rather paint a word picture of how people are listening to me and illustrate my desire for this favor rather than writing a preachy sounding post. So many are listening to me now. I need that. You are listening to me right now. But I can't paint that word picture, and really I don't feel that is what I am supposed to do.

I feel like I should just ask you to listen to someone today. Someones needs a kind ear and tender heart.

Thanks.

***

And the winners are....


Drum roll please.

I said drum roll please.

Wake up! Hit the drums, now!

OK

The winners of the drawing for the contest of "Where is Steinhatchee?" are:

Open the envelope sealed by Price and Waterhouse. They are:

Did you hear the story about?

Oh!..... The winners are


Rachel Going

Fran Van Hoven

Kathy Walker

And one bonus drawing:

Annette Grahl

Please email the address where you desire your book to be mailed. Email me at:

Milton646@aol.com

Congratulations and Enjoy!

***

How is Milton?

Church on Sunday was incredible. Every word seemed to be directed to me. My brother-in-law, Ron McGee preached a powerful sermon. The music and worship were awesome. Jesus was there!

We had a praise and worship gathering with Donnie Sumner last night. Donnie has ministered for 48 years in song across America. He traveled and sang with Elvis for years. He shared God's deliverance from sin's hold in his life and sang powerful songs that touched me right where I needed it. He was so funny I almost laughed right off the front bench.

God is good. When you go to church, things get better.

17 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good word. Some guy named James said, "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry..."

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

I will listen today. Thanks for reminding me how important that is. It is the easiest and hardest thing we can do.

I am so glad to hear you were blessed and uplifted by your time in church. It sounds great.

Thanks for writing to us.

Blessings,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANKS! A Good Word for Today!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said...

Will try to listen also!! Congrats to the winners.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Kathy Collard Miller said...

Thank you, Milton, for reminding us of this which is so important. Every one of us reacts out of our own needs, and unfortunately, out of our own sinful strategies to get what we think we need. We can't help another person get in touch with those strategies unless we listen to the underlying motives of their hearts. OK, enough preaching. Next time you get to preach, Milton. Congrats to the winners, even if my strategy was hoping I would win. :-)

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,
That is so inspiring. I can not even begin to tell you how much your words are helping to heal.

Thank you

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo-hoo, I'm not a 'winner', but I AM A WINNER!!!!!! Praise the Lord, for that wonderful advice you've given all your "readers" today. "LISTEN"......with an open heart....what a word, and even in your grief, you KNOW what others' are needing. Bless you, Milton. I WILL listen to someone, today.

Thank you...
Cathy Curtis

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Promise I will listen. Really listen.

It amazes me that through your greif you have a great sense of humor, and know what others need.

Through Christ and Kristy you have touched so many lives.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

For Kristy, I'm so glad you have people to listen to you, Milton. And for you. Sometimes that's all we want, isn't it? We don't need someone to try to fix it. They can't. We don't need someone to talk us out of it. They won't. We jsut need someone to reach out and listen.

I'm doing that today, too.

And I'm talking to our Father about you, asking Him to be close by your side.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Pamela S. Meyers said...

You came to my mind this morning, Milton, and I believe that the Holy Spirit prompted me to pray for you. So I did :-). God always listens to us. He tells us when you seek Me, you will find Me.

Right now the only thing with a beating heart within my hearing range is my cat and I do more listening to her (Meow, Meow, Meow) that she does listing to me LOL. But what you say is a huge reminder. One to carry with me until I'm once again within hearing range of someone else.

God bless!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Just Me said...

I will listen today, too. Thank you for the reminder. We all talk too much and don't listen enough.

Thanks for the giveaway! I'm thrilled for the winners!!!!

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Karen Eve said...

Thank you Milton for the good word. I wil listen today. My family is going through difficult times and sometimes I get tired of "listening", but then I sit back and remember that my greatest gift as mom is listening, especially since my kids are grown and parents themselves.
Blessings,

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your challenge to us to listen reminded me of a peom I have taped to my computer monitor. I read it everyday.

LIFE TIME
Take time to think
it is the source of power.
Take time to play
it is the secret of perpetual youth.
Take time to read
it is the foundation of wisdom.
Take time to pray
it is the greatest power on earth.
Take time to love and be loved
it is a god-given privilege.
Take time to listen
it is God speaking to you.
Take time to be freindly
it is the road to happiness.
Take time to laugh
it is the music of the soul
Take time to give
it is too short a day to be selfish.

Life is too short not Live, Laugh, and Listen. If we listen to God our lives will be wonderfully blessed and our paths will be made straight. His wisdom will guide us through the fire we maybe going through. Many time he speaks to us through others and if we are talking instead of listening we may miss a blessing.

Kristy was a good listner and a wonderful blessing to us all.

Thanks, Milton for reminding me to listen more.

Love and continual prayers,
Linda Reece
Birmingham,AL

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

My sister called. She's a prescription drug addict. I listened.

Praying in San Antonio.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

Very timely favor. I needed that.

I couldn't agree more with your final sentence. I've "preached" this for years. You always feel better when you've been to church.

Donnie Sumner's testimony is awesome!

How are your girls and grands?

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton, ME? a winner and a "bonus" winner at that! Thank You!

I recently sent the blog address to a friend of my daughter's who is a nurse and misses her Hospice career as she has gone into other nursing areas. I know it will bless her to read the story of Donna Jo.

Still praying and now listening...

Annette Grahl
SEBC Class of 1971

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton - I have to tell you that today my daughter called, out of the clear blue she said that her husband was gone. He'd left! This is the second time, and they've been married 13 years. He's such a precious son-n-law, and I am hurting for the both of them. It's not one sided, I know this. But, I listened and listened rather than being so quick to jump in with my "wisdom" and expertise as a Mother and Mother in law!!!! I felt the Holy Spirit prick me, and I remembered your word this morning....just listen. Your message was timely.
How you bless us all, in your pain.

Thank you, Milton and God Bless You!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home