Saturday, January 10, 2009

A FOUR WHEELER STOPS WITH A BIG THUD!

ANOTHER POST BY MILTON:


For new readers to this site, I am writing since Kristy's battle with a GBM brain tumor and her passing on July 21. Kristy made me a romantic so I write to share christian love stories.

***

Fast forward to this past New Year's Day.


Wanda and I just arrived in Tallahassee, FL, for a brief visit for me to meet her mother and siblings. Her daughter, Jennifer, lives there with her husband, Paul, and son, Alexander. Yes, we both have a Jennifer and an Alexander. 

We had been at Jennifer's home less than 5 minutes when we watched Paul and Alexander ride past the front of their house on a four wheeler. They have a beautiful home on acreage out in the country. Paul raced by the house on the dirt road as he and Alex were enjoying riding.

Just as they raced past my eyesight as I looked out the front windows of their house, I heard a hard thud sound and the four wheeler engine noised stopped. It happened suddenly leaving a very eery feeling.

"That didn't sound good," Jennifer said. And we opened the front door to check on Paul and Alex.

My heart stopped as I saw a horrible sight. The four wheeler was upside down on top of Paul and ten year old Alexander was screaming and running around begging for help.

Jennifer dashed toward them and I was right behind her with Wanda trailing me. Jennifer said, "Call 911." 

I turned and yelled to Wanda to go back into the house and call 911, and I chased after Jennifer as we both ran to check on Paul. I could see a puddle of blood and Paul was face down into that blood and he wasn't moving and the big, heavy four wheeler was on top of him.

It looked bad, real bad. He looked dead at a distance. Images raced through my mind with all kinds of fears. I had comforted many families through the years whose loved ones had broken necks, died, or had life altering injuries from less accidents than this one appeared to be. This looked horrible.

Alex was screaming and running around in shock. He was scared silly. His dad was hurt and we didn't know how severe. As I got closer the image of the blood under his face and the four wheeler on top of him got bigger and more serious looking. 

Is he paralyzed? Or brain damaged? Or have broken bones? Or hemorrhaging? 

Will he  rupture with internal bleeding if I can manage to get the four wheeler off him? Is he hemorrhaging now and will he die and will I have a wife, son, and mother-in--law in shock in a few moments. All kinds of thought were running through my minds as I raced to help.

Jennifer was screaming now, "We got to get it off him."

I am quickly looking the scene over to see if pulling it off quickly will do more arm than not. Blood and more blood was under his face. He was laying face down in that blood with the huge four wheeler on top of him.

Paul begins to moan and cry out and Jennifer is screaming and begging God and I am praying hard for mercy and trusting their are no internal hemorrhages or brain damage.

Before I could say anything to Jennifer about the wisdom of pulling the four wheeler off or not, she begins to try to get it off Paul. This was a very big four wheeler and she can't budge it. I reach up and try to pick it off and can't move it and she says we have to get it off. It seems too much, but I can't stop and I heaved again with one more huge try and we lift it off. 

Paul is writhing now. I can see by his movement there is no paralysis, but the blood is puddling and I look to see if there were signs of internal injury. He begins to cry out and move around and is coming out from being knocked out. . But the possibility  internal injury is looming. 

We were way out in the country and it will take a while for 911 to respond. Paul began to writhe more and I tried to keep him still and quiet, but he moved more and more. He tried to sit up and I tried to keep him still as I was fearful of internal injuries.

His face was a bloody pulp with gashes all over the back of his head and side and front of his face. He looked like someone had wrapped his face in a bloody towel. It was puffy and swollen and dirt was all over into the blood and the gashes and puncture wounds were looking horrible.

He began to come out of a daze and Jennifer asked him a question and he is confused but finally answers partially. He looks terrible and I am wondering if internal injuries are going to get him. Finally first responder county fire fighters arrive and begin to try to treat Paul and Alex who is now complaining of his head hurting and is really upset. Later ambulances arrived and prepared them for transport to the ER. 

I prayed with Alex and Paul and Jennifer. I had been praying under my breathe and out loud some. 


They kept Paul several days in the hospital. God was merciful and Alex had bruises and minor scratches so he didn't have to stay in the hospital. Paul had a broken collar bone, three cracked ribs, and a punctured lung, and bad puncture wounds on his face. 

Paul was fortunate and blessed in spite of those injuries. It could have been much, much, worse.

That morning before all this happened, Wanda and I  had prayed for Paul, Jennifer, and Alexander as well as other family members. God had heard our prayers. He kept them for severe, serious physical harm. They both could have been killed.

Later I remembered what God spoke to me ten days after Kristy's funeral service when He woke me up early in the morning and told me, "Wanda is the one of I have for you. She will bless you and bless your children, and you will bless her and bless her children."

Those words were coming true. That day I had blessed her children. I had helped save Paul's life from worse harm and had blessed them by being there in a serious time of need. Yes, God was blessing me through Wanda, and I was blessing her and her children.

Wanda and I worked together well in a very urgent and severe test. We did good, and I was able to bless her and her children.

4 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is so-o-o GOOD AND FAITHFUL! I cannot imagine how people exist without Him. I am so glad that you and Wanda are there for each other. His mercies are new every morning and you prayers that day, I believe, gave the added mercy. God is showing you both (and all that read this blog) that God has put you two together.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Carrie Turansky said...

Wow, what a story! I am glad to hear Paul and Alex came out of it alive. Good thing you were there to help lift that 4-wheel off of him.

I will pray for Paul's healing and for you and Wanda.

Blessings from,
Carrie in NJ

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca (Kristy's sister)
What a blessing that you and Wanda were there when that happened. I'm sure it was a tremendous blessing to all of them, but especially Jennifer. You and Wanda being there was a comfort to her during this time of very great need in her life. Even though Paul's injuries were bad, praise the Lord that they were not worse.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger B. J. Robinson said...

It seems a message that you both have a Jennifer and an Alex and how soon God has started using you to bless Wanda's children. God was good in allowing you both to be there for Jennifer when the accident happened and for answering the prayers. Thank God Paul was not hurt worse and Alex was not hurt badly.
Blessings,
Barb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home