Friday, November 30, 2007

Romance and Imperfect Marriages


Couples in love, especially those who are novices at it, need to learn a few secrets.

Kristy has as few vices as any one you would ever meet. Her heart is a pure heart--not vengeful, or haughty, or high minded, or covetous. She is hospitable and generous. She has given her very last ounce of strength more times than I can tell you for her family and for others. Now she isn't or never has been perfect, but she has been diligent in striving to honor God all her life. Now this is some holy gal.

Most people would say that I have been a good guy. Didn't smoke, didn't drink, didn't spit or chew, didn't go to bad movies, lie, steal, or cheat. Can quote lots of Scripture. Known to be a prayer intercessor. Honored God...Helped people go to heaven. Not perfect...but a nice fellow.

Now these two lilly whites meet, fall in love, and walla... you have a perfect marriage.

Wrong....bad wrong...

There is no such thing as a perfect marriage. It is impossible to have two people in marriage that have minds and wills of their own without having some differences--sometimes big differences.

Here is part of the secret you must know in marriage: YOU CAN HAVE A HAPPY MARRIAGE AND NOT NECESSARILY BE HAPPY ALL THE TIME. Did you read it? Do you get it? Sweet romance will overcome the storms of inevitable difference, if you're willing.

Boy, have we had some dozy of arguments!!??!! We didn't cuss. Didn't throw things. Didn't go home to Momma or Daddy. But we did have some very, fantastic arguments. And, I suspect there might be a few more to come.


Do you remember Ruth Bell Graham's famous quote of whether she had thought of divorcing her famous, world evangelist husband, Dr. Billy Graham? She said, I never thought of divorcing him......but murder!!!"

But here is the good news. You can have a life of romance and sweet lovin' even with some exciting or difficult moments of difference along the way.

Our biggest argument??? I don't remember. Maybe Kristy will remember when she gets her thinking back. Or maybe better, maybe when she gets her memory in full function then she won't remember it either.

Here's three points to help with arguments and differences: 1. Don't let the sun go down on your wrath. Don't stay mad over twenty four hours. It isn't worth it. 2. Don't let the little things bug you. Give it up. Move on. Learn to compromise and give and take. I can tell you as one whose spouse has a serious, deadly brain tumor that little things don't matter much. 3. No one's opinion is more important than a person. Opinions don't trump people. Don't fight for right and kill your mate.

Clean up the mess. Forgive and forget and let the make up lovin' begin.

Now, I have counseled long enough to know that some couples have messed up so badly that other steps might need to be taken, but you would be surprised how much can be corrected and erased by these few small steps.

Learn these important phrases:

YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT. (Not to be said with sarcasm)

or
I AM SORRY. I WAS WRONG. PLEASE FORGIVE ME.

Now repeat them again.

YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT.

or
I AM SORRY. I WAS WRONG. PLEASE FORGIVE ME.

If you don't have them memorized now, repeat them twice more.


How is Kristy?

I woke in the middle of the night with Kristy wanting to get something. She tried to communicate but the words wouldn't come out right. Sometimes she communicates as clear as a bell, but at other times its real fuzzy. Finally, we went into the kitchen, Kristy's kitchen, and she found her heart's desire for the moment and asked me, "What's this?"

I said, "An apple". There we were with her sitting in the bed, in the middle of the night, with her eating an apple. It was kinda cute and touching. When she finished, she snuggled up close and told me what a good man I am. I told her how much I loved her....and the night continued.

She is slowly weaning off the pain drugs....She had a good afternoon and evening. Praise God for His goodness.

Keep praying for Kristy....for us.

Her Husband, Milton

PS. The picture was taken a couple months back in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where our daughter, Jennifer, lives.

13 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Lady Di Tn said...

What a touching story of real life. I admire the way you are hanlding it and it reminds me of the quote "God does not give us more than we can handle, but handles what we give him". I may have misquoted it somewhat but you get the picture.
Peace be with you both.
I came over from Deena blog Can I be Pretty in Pink?

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

Dear Milton,

I found your blog through Deena at Can I be Pretty in Pink (she is fighting breast cancer) and I am so touched by your blog. I will pray for Kristy and for you. What a beautiful love story you have, it is just so touching. I pray that God will restore Kristy completely. I told my husband about your situation and printed your post from the 29th and just handed it to my husband to read. We all need to cherish the moments we are together and value and appreciate every little thing.

May God bless you.

In Him ~ Sharon

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Milton,
Great marital advice! I'm touched by your transparency. I just recently started reading your's and Kristy's blog. I sense God's presence as I read your teaching and updates. My wife and I are keeping you and Kristy in our prayer.

Donn

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Rambling On said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Milton,

I came here through Sharon's blog and found that you have some very good marital advice to offer. These are the same pointers Grandma gave me when I got married. Thanks for sharing.

I will keep you both in my prayers. Keep your eyes heavenward and lean on HIM.
Blessings,
Mary

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Pastor,
How wonderful to keep up-to-date on Kristy and you through these blogs so we know how to pray. Thank you for taking the time to keep us informed. I know it's a labor of love. The verse you asked the congregation to notate in our Bibles is so applicable now:
For I am the LORD, your God
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
I will help you.
Isaiah 41:13
Please know we are standing with you in faith for a miracle for Kristy! We love you both.
Dawn and Jerry

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

I realized I typed the wrong date for your post that I printed, it was from 11/23 entitled Tough Men and Tender Romance and it is a very good post.

My prayers are with you.

Sharon

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Southern-fried Fiction said...

Good advice and it stands the test of time. We're coming up on our 37th anniversary the 27th of this month. Like you and Kristy, we've had some rousing arguments. You get two people of Irish descent in one room, things can get hot! :o) But those words are like a cool shower, putting out the flames.

We continue to lift Kristy and you up before our Father's throne.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Thank you for teaching us in the midst of your pain and troubles. God bless you both with healing, help, and strength.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Pastor Milton, where were you in the early and slightly less early years of our marriage?

I have since learned that you're right. Those simple phrases make a world of difference. Sometimes we have to choke them out until we learn to say them graciously and willingly but either way, it's important to say them and mean them.

Christian leadership (no folks in particular implied) can stand to learn this message. The added pressure of ministering to the hurts of others while you are hurting yourself contributes to the high divorce rate that we've heard about recently.

You and Kristy are so blessed! My prayers for you continue.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Maggie Brendan said...

I look forward everyday to reading about Kristy's journey. As usual, you say just the right thing, Milton. I know she is so proud of you and able to lean on you during this difficult time. Still praying..
In Christ,

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Wow! What an amazing story on so many levels. God is in control - praying for you both - may God's will be done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home